Papercup is a machine learning start-up transforming the media industry. 99.9% of video content is shackled to a single language. Our ambition is to make the world's content watchable in any language. We're translating videos by generating voices that sound like the original speaker, not only capturing the characteristics of your voice but also the way you speak.
*About the role:*
At Papercup, we have developed a speech translation pipeline that has unlocked content from companies like Sky News and Discovery for over 100 million viewers in their native language. As our Machine Learning Manager, you will have the opportunity to further advance our industry leading technology and lead the entire research function of our team; one that, as our publications at top tier speech processing conferences show, is truly pushing the boundaries of research in speech synthesis.
This opportunity will allow you to shape the short, medium, and long term strategy and priorities for the ML team in alignment with the broader company goals. Your close interaction with the team will allow you to not only be involved with cutting edge research but also stay in touch with the latest technologies in ML Operations and Infrastructure. And what's more? We're very proud of having a flat, collaborative team structure, so we'll provide you with plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty!
This role will also give you the chance to nurture and mentor a team of talented, driven, enthusiastic (and, if we may say so ourselves, hilariously funny) researchers, helping them grow both personally and professionally. As part of the ML team, which consists of a mix of post-graduates and PhDs from leading universities including Cambridge, UCL, and Edinburgh, you will also have the opportunity to collaborate with our esteemed science advisors, Prof. Simon King, and Prof. Mark Gales. Given the exciting growth of the company, and the numerous avenues for further research, we are also looking to expand this team and this role would position you ideally to grow the team and help it reach its full potential. Sounds exciting? We think so too!
*Our tech stack:*
* Frameworks and Modules: ReactJS, NodeJS, Prisma, Next.js, Tachyons
* Database: Postgres, MySQL
* Tools: Notion, Clubhouse, StackOverflow Team
* Infrastructure: AWS (ECS Fargate, Lambda, S3), GCP, GraphQL (APIs, and Kubernetes), Azure (Kubernetes), Sentry, Vercel, Auth0, RedisLabs
* Shape Papercup's long-term strategy and define the research and development roadmap for the ML team
* Manage the execution of the ML team's projects, balance competing priorities, and keep stakeholders informed
* Take on responsibility for the career growth of the current ML team members
* Scale and grow the team by hiring and onboarding new team members, and/or by fostering internal and external collaborations
* Demonstrable ability to lead a team conducting commercial research, development, and deployment of machine learning technology
* A strong track record of delivering technology that has an impact on customers
* Previous experience of and passion for people management with a view to supporting the growth of the ML team and the career development of its ML engineers
* Ability to demonstrate familiarity with the latest machine learning research and its implementation
*Nice to haves:**
* Familiarity with generative modelling systems, and/or speech synthesis
* Experience of working as a scientist or engineer within a commercial machine learning team
* Enthusiasm for working within a flat structure and fostering a collaborative working environment
* Established network within the ML community with a view towards building the presence of a business, product, or research team
* Competitive salary
* Monthly wellness benefit
* Remote working options (2-3 days)
* Unlimited holidays
* Personal learning budget
* Excellent parental leave options
* Screening video call
* Tech stage
* Culture and values - 3 sections
Machine LearningMachine Learning