Estate Commercial Manager - Scotland Wide £43,095 - £46,945 plus benefits Forestry & Land Scotland (FLS)
is an agency of the Scottish Government. We are responsible for managing Scotland's national forests and land on behalf of the Scottish Ministers. This is an exciting time for FLS as we are on a journey of transforming our business to make it completely sustainable and ensure that FLS delivers its Vision: "forests and land that Scotland can be proud of". To deliver this transformation we need to be innovative and agile as we explore new markets, develop new partnerships, create new commercial opportunities and explore new funding sources as well as managing what we have already in the most efficient way possible.
In our team, Estate Development (ED), we take the lead on non-forestry commercial activities through identifying and delivering new and diversified income streams across FLS managed land. With around 640,000ha of forests and land (9% of the total area of Scotland) there are a lot of areas of potential opportunity.
Already on FLS land we have 22 operational wind farms and 77 hydro projects producing 1.1GW, which is equivalent to the annual electricity consumption of a quarter of Scotland's households. We have many more renewables projects in the pipeline as we support the Scottish Government's renewable energy and carbon reduction targets. Other projects include leasing of land for the development of communication masts, mineral extraction and agricultural activities (almost a third of land managed is non-forest).
These all generate an annual gross revenue income of circa £16 million and ED has a remit to grow this further. FLS also want to work better with external partners to deliver areas of joint interest and we are developing relationships and agreements to do that.Job description
The Estate Commercial Manager will oversee day to day ED operations and help grow the ED business. The post-holder will report to the Director of ED.
You will help identify, pursue and help capture new business opportunities and to deliver best practice and continuous improvement on our existing business. You should have several years of experience in financial management, analysing and advising on business opportunities, proposals and contracts.
You will have a track record of success in overseeing business opportunities from inception to completion and identifying and mitigating risks involved. The ability to help colleagues to nurture relationships and develop our business is critical.Responsibilities
For more information and to apply, please click on the "apply now" button. Closing date: 22 June 2021, 23:55.No recruitment agencies please.
- Provide a full business plan preparation, reporting and assurance service for the Estate Development Team.
- Provide commercial analysis, advice and recommendations on new agreements, contracts, partnerships and business proposals to deliver best value for FLS.
- Be the principal liaison between the ED team and the Finance team to share and deliver best practice management of income, expenditure and risk.
- Supporting the Renewables Team on financial management including forecasting and modelling for new projects to deliver best value.
- Be a member of the Estate Development Management Team and fully contribute to the direction and critical success outcomes of the directorate.
- Provide ad hoc financial support and analysis to the DoED and for projects/activities shared with other FLS functions such as Land Management and Visitor Services & Communities.
- Manage the ED administration team comprising an Administration Manager and 2 Administration Officers, all based in Dumfries.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities for all sectors of our diverse community.