An exciting opportunity has arisen to lead the garden teams at Llanerchaeron and Dinefwr as Head Gardener - We are looking for a Head Gardener with a wealth of experience, a creative and artistic eye, sound plant knowledge and strong leadership and people skills.
What it's like to work here
The role will be responsible for gardens at more than one site, each site has a unique and special sense of place. Llanerchaeron is a beautiful and well established estate garden in west Wales. Dinefwr has a small formal garden - and we are looking for a candidate with the vision and drive to develop this garden offer. There will be potential flexibility about days of work and site/location.
What you'll be doing
You will be responsible for the outdoor offer and the formal gardens around the houses as well as the less formal woodland areas that include elements of natural play for our family visitors. Working with the teams, you'll ensure the Gardens, plant collections and outdoors are developed and maintained to the highest professional horticultural standards and that its distinctive specialness of place is preserved. You'll implement garden conservation and management plans, based on sound conservation and environmental practices.
You'll get involved with the interpretation and programming for our visitors. Including helping to promote the garden history and plant collections stories to our visitors. You'll share your passion for our special place and instil a team culture of exceptional customer service by sharing stories and engaging with our visitors. You'll also engage with local communities and others in our work and promote a culture of openness and involvement for all.
You'll lead, motivate and supervise a large team of volunteers, working together to share great standards of presentation. You'll also be an active member of the senior leadership team and will use your knowledge and team insights to help make informed decisions. You'll work with other colleagues across the portfolio and consultancy to constantly improve our visitor offer.
You'll be part of our Duty Manager rota providing support across all departments.
Regular weekend and bank holiday working is a requirement of this role. We anticipate this being at least one weekend in four.Please also read the full role profile and additional details attached to this advert.
Who we're looking for
You'll need to have:
• Experience of managing teams of gardeners and volunteers
• A love for sharing your knowledge and experience with volunteers, staff and team
• Ability to communicate and deliver transformation and vision
• Excellent organisational and communication skills
• RHS Level 3 (or the equivalent) as well as practical gardening/horticulture experience
• An excellent understanding of horticultural techniques and plant identification
• Experience of using garden machinery
• An understanding of Health & Safety and sustainable garden practices
Benefits for working at the National Trust:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes.
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Subsidised health cash plan
- Free 24-hour support service
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Training & Development tailored to you
- Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you.