As the Head of Highways - Phase Two you will be a key leader in the delivery of the highway infrastructure for Phase Two of the HS2 programme, managing the Highways England's interface across Phase Two, their cost recharge and the associated relationship with Department for Transport. You will provide consistency, oversight and support to the highway engineering function to ensure that they are fully integrated into each stage of the HS2 lifecycle.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential. In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
About the role:
- To be accountable for leading a functional team, setting objectives, reviewing performance and participating in selection/promotion decisions to ensure that our people have the necessary skills and understanding to deliver the team's objectives;
- Work closely with the wider HS2 team to develop a hybrid Bill that is consistent across the Phase Two route;
- Oversee the management of the engineering consultants and work with the area teams to ensure quality, cost and time parameters are met for Phase Two;
- Manage the technical relationship for Phase Two with the key transport bodies especially Highways England;
- To be accountable for developing and managing effective relationships with all acceptance authorities internally and external as required;
- Support the HS2 Sponsorship director in the leadership and management of the Department for Transport relationship and requirements;
- Manage the implementation of all existing and future agreements with highway authorities for Phase Two;
- Adopt a culture of health & safety leadership and associated behaviours;
- Nurture the continuing professional development of and provide overall engineering guidance and direction to the highway engineering professionals engaged throughout HS2 Phase Two and its supply chain;
You will be expected to actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.Qualifications
- Knowledge of the Highways England's processes and requirements.
- Knowledge of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, Specification for Highway Works, etc.
- Applicable UK construction regulations including CDM requirements.
- Knowledge of how the supply chain operate across various geographies and industries (incl. civil, construction and rail).
- Experience of working on multi-disciplinary complex infrastructure projects.
- Experience developing technical solutions for large scale highway infrastructure.
- Experience of managing and/or influencing key third party stakeholders.
- Technical leadership - Strategic oversight and contextual technical support and leadership on innovative/sensitive/ contentious multi discipline-technical and engineering principles.
The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK's new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain's major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others' health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our 'Safe at Heart' programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.