Base Location:Home Based, flexible across UK regions
Salary:Competitive + company car/cash allowance + a range of other benefits to support yourfamily, finances and wellbeing
Working Pattern:Permanent| Full Time|with flexible working options available
What is the Role?
We've an exciting opportunity for a Construction Director to play a significant part in delivering our strategy and helping us achieve our vision. You'll join our business at pivotal time as we embark on an exciting and ambitious growth journey across Distributed Energy business area.
Reporting to the Director of Operations & Business Support, you'll take accountability for the safe, efficient delivery of all construction projects across SSE's Distributed Energy (DE) division including a wide range of Large Capital Projects (LCP) comprising of both locally and nationally significant infrastructure, in accordance with approved business cases, client specifications and SSE Group standards.
You'll also implement a strategy for the timely establishment of a new Construction Delivery Directorate which establishes competent resource, processes and tools across a wide range of energy infrastructure sectors in a timely manner, to execute various major contracts and exceed customer and stakeholder expectations.
Additionally you'll utilise the expertise of those within the Construction function to strengthen projects during development and to prepare for a smooth handover to Asset Management following commissioning.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the delivery of a large and growing portfolio of High Voltage (up to and including 400kV) electrical network, solar generation, energy storage and electrical vehicle infrastructure projects, plus heat network infrastructure and gas network construction projects. Also, the delivery of a portfolio of complex, multi-discipline major energy solution projects with smart energy management systems. Total 5-year capex forecast of circa £1bn
- Driving excellent SHE performance across our business, our supply chain and key stakeholders, actively developing and embedding a strong safety culture which constructively challenges and praises appropriate behaviours, to ensure that all staff and contractors effectively understand and comply with company rules and procedures relating to safety, health and environment and meet performance expectations
- Proactively leading in the establishment of strong customer & stakeholder relationships, driving excellent standards of service and quality, acting as the Director level point of escalation in all cases. You'll also lead the implementation of a Customer Excellence Strategy that enhances and delivers improvements in the customer experience, including targeted stakeholder engagement to ensure the business meets or exceeds customer and stakeholder expectations
- Taking accountability for the delivery against an agreed budget of a portfolio of projects representing approximately £350m-£500m annual capital investment, in line with agreed client specifications and internal business requirements. You'll develop and implement capex outperformance strategies across all projects to embed Capex savings of 10% against the agreed budget, in order to enhance long term rates of return during asset ownership
- Mobilising and leading the Construction function to play a key role at all levels in shaping the development of new projects and opportunities from the inception stages, providing construction experience and insight to build efficient programmes, consider SHE risks, embed construction innovation, consider risk, apply lessons learned, refine scope and improve the accuracy of forecasted costs
- Actively develop and lead a performance culture which ensures that all current objectives and targets are met but also motivates the Construction Delivery teams to continuously review performance, improve processes, innovate and develop capabilities to exceed customer needs and targets
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Strong Knowledge and understanding of the UK energy industry, regulated and non-regulated environments, in particular high voltage networks, connections and low carbon distributed energy technology. Also, you'll have an excellent understanding of the requirements of large energy infrastructure construction projects up to and including the highest UK voltage levels
- Strong commercial acumen with ability to carry out commercial negotiations to meet objectives, such as in the evaluation of tenders for major projects / programmes of work
- Commercial understanding of the value drivers for construction projects; how to deliver profit and maximise future asset value
- Excellent people leadership skills and significant experience of leading and motivating large functions of people across multiple organisational levels
- Extensive construction industry experience in a senior leadership role with proven experience in delivering and managing multi hundred million, multi-disciplinary projects including delivery to budget investment returns and maximising early revenue
- Pragmatic and systematic approach with ability to think clearly under pressure, quickly analysing and assimilating information to identify key issues and make evidence-based decisions
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills with the ability to communicate at multiple levels with internal and external partners
About our Business
SSE Enterprise Utilities is the Distributed Energy (DE) and Private Networks business of SSE plc. We finance, own, operate and maintain energy infrastructure for commercial, industrial and residential customers - providing them with a market leading project development service and certainty of operational performance and asset management.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you?Fromhealth and wellnessto finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday(plusthe option to buy additional days),enhanced maternity and paternity leave,discounted healthcare and a wide range ofoffersvia our SSE Advantage scheme.:
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference.We all have differentskills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you canbe yourself.Wetake pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for thefuture. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
Read more about our inclusion and diversity commitments here .
All applications should be submitted online, it doesn't take long.
If you would like a confidential informal discussion about this role before applying, to discuss anyworking differently requirements oradjustments you may require, please contact email@example.com / 01738 342 298.
I'll let you know the outcome of your application after the closing date.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal recordsand credit check.