Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
The role holder will become a core member of the centralised Underwriting Research, Development and Standards team of subject matter experts responsible for the development of underwriting philosophy and processes that will apply across the Insurance Division. This includes ensuring the relevant risks and control processes, documentation and approvals processes are in place, communicated across the company's underwriter population and are adhered to. The individual must be an experienced Medical Underwriter as they will be helping develop and set standards for the company and will be seen as a go to point for process queries from other underwriters. They will also work with the operational teams to provide case support and their expert view.
The role will support the other members of the team including the Senior Research Underwriter, Senior Standards Underwriters and Chief Underwriter as required. More complex matters being escalated to the Chief Underwriter. The role holder will be responsible for identifying areas for change, develop change improvements and support implementation.
Project work will be distributed amongst the team and the individual will be responsible for leading those team projects allocated to them, liaising with relevant internal stakeholders across the business and implementing
- Set Underwriting & Claims Risks and Controls in line with company requirements.
- Implement and review appropriate controls/limits/evidence requirements to ensure claims/cases are accepted/ rejected in line with TCF and company policy, policy provisions, ABI & FOS guidelines.
- Lead on relevant team projects and be responsible for their delivery. This may range from small to medium projects that will be allocated based on the strengths and capacity of team members.
- Provide training as required to the operations teams/underwriter population. Identifying areas where they feel training is required to upskill and agree the best way to provide the training e.g. internally, cost of external provider with the relevant business Director. Leading the training or organising the external training provision.
- Provide guidance and support to the operations teams on processes and complex cases. Being available to provide guidance and coaching to less experienced underwriters as well as being a second opinion and able provide an objective view on cases when appropriate. Using their expert knowledge to provide guidance on more complex cases.
- Review underwriting decisions for quality sampling, assess accuracy and provide appropriate feedback in line with underwriting philosophy. Raising any concerns over standards appropriately. The individual must be capable of providing objective and constructive feedback and know when and how to do so.
- Effectively identify and report risks and risk events in line with agreed polices and be able to suggest ways to measure, monitor and manage.
- Work within and support the UnderwritingRDS team to deliver on team objectives.
- Support the Chief Underwriter as required.
- Manage relationships where appropriate with stakeholders, internal and external, including, reinsurers, third party providers, Chief Medical Officer.
- Maintain a high level of claims/underwriting knowledge in order to provide advice, guidance, training & support to the operational teams and senior management.
Desired Knowledge / Experience / Skills
Excellent underwriting knowledge:
• Detailed understanding of medical underwriting risk factors.
• Able to underwrite for multiple product lines.
• Full understanding of the ABI's Statement of Best Practice including genetics, and how they apply.
• Fully conversant with underwriting manuals and processes.
• Detailed understanding of the company's products which require underwriting input.
• Maintains underwriting knowledge with industry and market changes.
Will need to have strong stakeholder management skills to build relationships with a wide network of colleagues across Canada Life e.g. Underwriters as well as external parties e.g. reinsurers and Chief Medical Officer. They will not always be the decision maker, such as when providing underwriters with an opinion on a complex case, and need to be able to influence and persuade through open, collaborative ways and being respected as an expert.
Must be comfortable presenting as will be expected to provide training and coaching to the underwriting population.
Will need to be able to provide thought leadership on technical issues and will need to be able to explain complex situations in simple terms and to people at different levels.
Good Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills
The role holder will have previous medical underwriting experience, across underwriting operations and development.
Formal CII and Underwriting qualifications are desirable.
What you'll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences