Embedded C++ Software Engineer (Remote, UK)
We're looking for a talented Software Engineer to work on cutting-edge embedded software projects as part of an agile team. In May 2021 Consult Red became an employee-owned organisation, putting it in pole position to attract and retain the industry's best talent and disrupt the market.
Consult Red works with the likes of Liberty Global, Comcast and AT&T to develop cutting-edge in-home entertainment technology and other connected secure IoT products. In the last 12 months alone, Consult Red has grown its team by 60 people to over 220 strong (up 37%) across its three offices in the UK, Poland and the US. How you will spend your time
You will work in an agile environment reporting to a Group Lead or Project Manager and will have considerable exposure to our clients and other partners. Working as part of a team, you'll be a key part of the planning, design, development, debugging and integration of embedded software modules for cutting edge broadcast and internet TV receivers ("set-top boxes") or similar embedded/Internet of Things (IoT) devices.What you will need to bringMandatory Skills
Desirable Tech Skills
- Strong experience with C, C++ or Java in an embedded Linux or Android environment
- Strong debug and problem-solving skills
- Experienced developing and debugging multithreaded and/or multi-process code
- Ability to understand complex issues and discuss them via phone, email and other methods
- Flexible, can-do approach
Experience with any of the following is useful, although not required - ability and willingness to learn is just as important.
Object Orientated programming in C++ or Java / UML diagramming / C++11 / STL or frameworks such as Qt / Embedded or mobile Java / JNI / Linux kernel / drivers / GCC / GDB / TDD and Unit Testing frameworks such as Google Test / Mockito / JUnit and similar / Software development for consumer electronics or TV / Audio,Video & TV standards / Networking protocols and standards including TCP/IP / Wi-Fi / UPnP / DLNA / HLS or MPEG-DASH / Agile, Scrum methodologiesWhat you will get in return
Our Recruitment Process
- A competitive salary that grows with your career
- A twice-yearly company bonus scheme
- Opportunities to train, develop and grow your career to the highest level
- 25 days' holiday as standard, rising an extra day for every year you stay with us, up to a maximum of 30 days
- A flexible and risk-averse approach to remote work in these uncertain times
- Free on-site parking, rail season ticket support, and a cycle to work scheme for when you do need to come into the office.
- Access to the "Headspace" mindfulness app
We believe in moving fast and keeping things simple.
Once you submit your CV, we'll send you a short online form asking you to confirm a couple of details. Your application then goes directly to the Hiring Manager to review. We'll always try to come back to you within a few days.
We'll usually do a short first-stage telephone interview. If that goes well, we'll want to set up a longer conversation to find out more. Where possible, we'll do a face-to-face interview in our offices, so that you can get a better feel for the company and your team. However, we understand the challenges of COVID-19 and have adapted our business to be completely flexible around the current situation. This means that we may do some, or all, of the interview process over video using Microsoft Teams, Skype, or GoToMeeting.
However we do it, we want you to leave us with a real feel for the role and a sense of what it's like to work with us, so we're happy to spend some quality time to answer all of your questions.