: Senior Data ScientistType
: Permanent Location
: Working from office (Not remote)Salary
: Between £60,000 - £110,000 dependant on experienceStart Date
: As soon as possible (June/ July)THE ROLE
Data scientist: Aerospace and defence listed firms. You will extract, analyse, and interpret large amounts of data from a range of sources, using algorithmic, data mining, artificial intelligence, machine learning and statistical tools, to make it accessible to the wider Investment team and senior management. You will then present your results using clear and engaging language.DUTIES
You will need to:
You will also need to:
- Work closely with Data engineers and senior equity research analysis to identify issues and use data to propose solutions for effective decision making
- Build algorithms and design experiments to merge, manage, interrogate, and extract data to supply tailored reports to colleagues, IT Index and systems intelligence unit or the wider investment team
- Use machine learning tools and statistical techniques to produce solutions to problems
- Test data mining models to select the most appropriate ones for use on a project
- Maintain clear and coherent communication, both verbal and written, to understand data needs and report results
- Create clear reports that tell compelling stories about how partners or colleagues work with the business
- Assess the effectiveness of data sources and data-gathering techniques and improve data collection methods
- Horizon scan to stay up to date with the latest technology, techniques, and methods
- Conduct research from which you will develop prototypes and proof of concepts
- Look for opportunities to use insights/datasets/code/models across other functions in the organisation (for example in aerospace and defence listed firms and non-listed firms
- Stay curious and enthusiastic about using algorithms to solve problems and enthuse others to see the benefit of your work.
- Recruit, train and lead a team of data scientists
- Have responsibility for the organisation's data science strategy
- Establish new systems and processes and look for opportunities to improve the flow of data
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies
- Represent the company at external events and conferences
- Build and develop relationships with partners.
- Experience in Aerospace & defence
You'll need a degree in a computer science, mathematical or science-based subject. The following degree subjects may be particularly useful:
- Computer science
- Data science/computer and data science
- Mathematics and operational research
You will be expected to know some programming languages such as R, Python, C or Java and have strong database design and coding skills.SKILLS
You'll need to have:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience in database interrogation and analysis tools, such as Hadoop, SQL and SAS
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills to explain your work to people who do not understand the mechanics behind data analysis
- Effective listening skills to understand the requirements of the firm
- Drive and the resilience to try new ideas if the first one does not work - you'll be expected to work with minimal supervision, so it's important that you're able to motivate yourself
- Planning, time management and organisational skills
- The ability to deliver under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Great attention to detail
- Teamworking skills and a collaborative approach to sharing ideas and finding solutions.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in an Engineering discipline, Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Analytics, or Information Systems Management.
- A minimum of 3 years' experience manipulating and applying advanced data and statistical analysis methods to manufacturing data.
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the UK. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- 3+ years working experience in the financial industry and/or analytics experience after graduation.
- A degree in Engineering AND a degree or certification in Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Analytics, or Information Systems Management.
- In depth knowledge of statistical software packages and advanced analytics techniques.
- Proven success manipulating and applying advanced data and statistical analysis methods to manufacturing data.
- Knowledge and experience working in various coding languages, including
Python, R, and SQL.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a self-directed or team environment.
- Strong organizational skills.