Software Engineer will be the lead software authority within Emblation with ownership of internal software development policies and tools within the company as the first permanent hire in the team. Client Details
We are emblation - an award-winning medical technology company, revolutionising the way microwave energy is used in healthcare. Our aim is to improve on traditional treatments, using the unique advantages microwaves deliver - accurate, repeatable procedures, and better clinical outcomes.
Our technology is revolutionising the treatment of HPV infections globally, and is widely used in Dermatology, Podiatry and Oncology, with a number of disruptive applications under development in the fields of Cardiology and Gynaecology.
The company was started in 2007 by our joint co-founders (current Chief Executive Officer and Chief Technology Officer) and inventors behind the technology. They form part of our highly experienced management team with over 50 years of experience in this field.
You can now find our medical devices in 1000s of clinics and hospitals across the UK, the US, Canada, and Australia. We are just at the start of our journey and you will be joining the emblation team at a key phase in our growth, underpinned by 3 primary goals:
- Expansion into new treatment areas
- Development of new markets and a wider global presence
- The addition of new talent to our Scottish Headquarters to bring the skills and experience needed to support our plans for growth
The next five years will be exciting, join us for it!Description
This role is perfect for an innovative, ambitious professional who would like to work as part of a driven and supportive team which designs and manufactures novel medical device products to improve the world around us!
The role would ideally suit a lead Software Engineer who enjoys working across the full product lifecycle - from product concept through to manufacturing support. The role will include responsibility as lead designer for embedded software for an innovative new medical treatment platform, incorporating software development planning, specification, design, verification, and validation. In addition, design of supporting PC-based manufacturing test software for the new platform, alongside maintenance of existing test software as required.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Software Engineer will be the lead software authority within Emblation with ownership of internal software development policies and tools within the company.
As a medical devices company, certified to ISO 13485, accuracy of documentation is essential throughout product design and maintenance. This includes a thorough systems engineering approach to documenting requirements, verification/validation activities, and with consideration of quality and risk management throughout.
Your deliverables will include the following:
- Product Development:
- Designing, developing and qualifying embedded software within medical device systems and products incorporating advanced microwave technology, in accordance with the Company's design control procedures and quality standards.
- Support and maintenance of existing test software, including change management and product updates to meet the latest regulations.
- Lead software authority with ownership of internal software development policies and tools within the company
- Carrying out verification and validation activities to agreed schedules, quality, and cost.
- Working with and managing suppliers, subcontractors, and other engineering disciplines.
- Generating design documentation in compliance with Company's design control procedures.
- Generating manufacturing documentation in compliance with quality standards.
- Maximising product Design for Assembly and Design for Test.
- Managing software changes/updates in accordance with the Company's standard operating procedures and in compliance with ISO 13485 and QSR.
- Supporting QA investigations relating to processes, manufacturing or customer returns.
- As part of a project team, introduce new products to subcontractor manufacturing sites (Transfer to manufacture).
- Generation of Software manufacturing and test documentation, in compliance with relevant standards.
- Ongoing technical software support for manufacturing where required.
You will be an energetic, passionate, self-starter with a positive disposition and someone who will relish a working environment which is focussed on growth and the changes needed to deliver it.
Some of the key skills you'll bring are:
- Experience of working in an embedded software design role, ideally within a highly regulated industry sector.
- Well versed in embedded software development with a good understanding of software-hardware integration.
- Skilled in embedded software development for consumer facing products, including user experience design is desirable but not essential.
- Experience of Medical device regulatory requirements is desirable, but not essential.
- Knowledgeable in defining and following coding guidelines (e.g. MISRA); and in defining detailed verficiation and validation approaches, including code reviews and static/dynamic analysis.
- Software-Hardware integration mindset; hands-on approach to the interaction of embedded software with surrounding hardware.
- Desirable experience in design using communication protocols including USB, I2C, SPI, RS232, Bluetooth.
The prospect of an exciting career journey that will see the Engineering team grow over the next few years as the business grows and continues to disrupt the medical device industry.
An attractive salary is on offer for the right candidate.