BRAND NEW Your new company
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Legal Counsel within the heart of a innovative scientific organisation based in Oxford.
Their work is focused into complementary themes which together will produces technologies to allow us to see the biological world in new ways, from single molecules to entire systems. This insight is speeding up drug design and development, and pushing forward our understanding of human health and disease.Your new role
As Legal Counsel, you will be at the heart of translating the ground-breaking discoveries into new technologies that will transform life science and medical research. You will lead the drafting, reviewing and negotiating of a broad range of research-related contracts with our industry and academic collaborators, service providers, government and other funding bodies. You will also oversee the processes and procedures for protecting the institute's intellectual property rights whilst safeguarding both the researchers' need to publish results and pursue further research and the charitable and academic status. You will have a passion for research and technology development and its translation to advance our understanding of human health. This role an excellent opportunity to further develop your career in the field of technology transfer in a growing and innovative research organisation.
What you'll need to succeed
- Draft, review, and negotiate formal agreements covering a broad range of research and research-related activities, including academic and commercial collaborations, licensing of intellectual property, NDAs, and consultancy assignments.
- Provide clear and pragmatic advice on a broad range of legal topics. Such advice should identify the legal and practical significance of the matter at hand and, where appropriate, the implications of associated contractual terms. There will be instances where advice requires the articulation of different options and their relative trade-offs in terms of risks and benefits.
- Ensure that material institutional risks in proposed contracts are identified, captured and communicated appropriately.
- Manage input and advice from external legal counsel, ensuring expert advice is received as required in a cost-effective manner.
- Business partnering with key stakeholders to find solutions and respond to day to day legal issues.
- Working across all teams to contribute to other projects or activities as the need arises
- Qualified lawyer with up to 5 years of post-qualification legal experience gained in either an academic technology transfer environment or a commercial research and development company.
- A solid track record in contract negotiation, demonstrating an ability to tackle complex issues and find pragmatic solutions that support strategic objectives
- Proven expertise in contract and intellectual property law and good legal knowledge in areas relevant to a growing research institute such as employment law, data privacy and charities law.
- Ability and willingness to manage a range of projects and priorities and to work to tight deadlines
- Provide legal advice and commercial input into negotiations conducted by other members of the operations team
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and plan suitable mitigation steps
- Relishes working in a challenging, fast paced environment with the ability to adapt to situations as they arise
- Excellent customer focus and customer relationship skills
- Diplomatic and pragmatic with rigorous attention to detail
What you'll get in return
- Research experience
- Experience in working in a start-up environment
What you need to do now
- 25 days holidays + bank holidays +additional Christmas shut down
- Generous pension scheme (employer's contribution currently up to 18%)
- Training and development opportunities for staff at all levels
- Bus pass discount scheme
- Access to employee discount platform
- Subsidised canteen
- Free on-site parking
- Campus location in beautiful countryside with social and sports clubs open to staff
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.