Product Manager / Senior Product Manager (Institutional Customer Engagement)
We're looking for an experienced Product Manager to lead our Institutional Customer Engagement (ICE) team. The ICE team is tasked with growing our core institutional sales revenues in a rapidly changing market. It is a cross-functional, Agile development team based primarily in Berlin, with some team members based in London. The role involves working closely with our institutional customers - Librarians, our Sales & Marketing teams, and the ICE team to develop and deliver product ideas.
Experience working on an Agile development team, strong interpersonal skills, and strong analytic thinking are all essential. Experience in academic publishing and with eCommerce, Identity & Access Management, and Business Systems is an advantage, but is not essential. We are open to hiring a promising Product Manager with less than 5 years of experience who is seeking to develop their skills and career. The role is based in Berlin, London or Lisbon.
You would be joining the Product Group of one of the largest, most prestigious, and most progressive global academic publishers. Springer Nature has a portfolio of over 3,000 journals and over 300,000 books. Our imprints include Nature, Springer, and BioMed Central. We are a market leader in innovative solutions to support the work of researchers, including in Open Access publishing and our syndication partnership with ResearchGate. Our culture is empowering, supportive, and creative.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles. Find out more at https://group.springernature.com/gp/group/taking-responsibility/diversity-equity-inclusion.
What you'll do...
Within 3 months:
- Understand the current scope of the ICE team and the landscape and priority of customer problems and business opportunities
- Engage with and understand internal and external research on the academic publishing market and our institutional customers
- Attend and contribute to ICE team rituals
- Form relationships with and develop the trust of the ICE team and senior internal stakeholders
- Form relationship within the Product Group at Springer Nature
- Write and deliver your first set of Objectives and Key Results for the ICE team
- Begin delivering clear, data-led reports on the team's progress toward its goals
- Begin managing work requests coming into the team from stakeholders
- Work with your line manager on a plan to develop your skills and career at Springer Nature
Within 3 months
- Engage in research with end users to better understand their needs
- Shape and deliver your vision, roadmap, and key performance indicators for the ICE team
Support the team in delivering on that roadmap by advocating for your vision and identifying and being a catalyst for addressing gaps in or blockers to delivery
- Identify and implement improvements to the team's processes to accelerate deliver
- Successfully bring product developments to market and measure their impacts for users and the business
- Regularly deliver data-led reports to management and other stakeholders
- Manage incoming work requests to the team by identifying the problem behind the requests, prioritising the problems, and collaboratively designing solutions to those problems that effectively address user and business needs
- Effectively park low priority problems and retire products as necessary
- Begin representing Springer Nature and influencing for our interests within industry initiatives and at industry conferences
- Support other Product Managers within the Product Group to deliver on their visions and to develop their skills
- Work with your line manager on a plan to further develop your skills and career in the coming years
- Beyond 12 months:
- Become synonymous with your business area, so that all global Springer Nature colleagues know to come to you with problems and ideas in that area
- Become synonymous within the industry with your business area, so that members of the industry know to come to you with ideas in that area
- Mentor less experienced Product Managers to develop their skills and careers