DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP is the UK's largest government department. We make payments worth over £195bn a year to support some of the most vulnerable people in our society.
We are looking for a talented Senior Data Engineer to work with us on a once-in-a-generation digital transformation of our services, and use data to better inform and steer the way millions of people use our products and services.
DWP Digital is our community of digital experts. We use fresh ideas and leading edge technologies ro create innovative, scalable digital solutions that make a difference to our 22 million users and our amazing DWP colleagues.Data. Work. Projects.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you'll be working on some of the most complex and exciting projects in the UK. You'll use your skills and experience, and your expert voice, to shape and steer the future of DWP services.
You'll need to be a specialist in either ETL, Data Modeling or Cloud technologies, with a working knowledge of all three.
You're a self-starter so you'll be comfortable with taking initiative and leading the team on key aspects of the project to ensure success. The role also presents a real opportunity for learning through the Microsoft DSI platform, Azure & AWS courses and regular learning & development days.
Due to the nature of this role you will need to have or be able to pass Security Clearance.What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
- A deep understanding of the technical concepts required in a data engineering role and of the wider technical landscape.
- Experience in designing and building efficient, scalable, automated ETL/ELT pipelines, including data ingestion (batch/messaging/streaming), processing and storage
- Comfortable turning complex technical data into compelling, clear, concise messages, and using information and experience to make tactical and strategic recommendations
- Experience of Distributed Version control methodologies and tooling, and CI/CD deployments (e.g. GitLab)
- Experience of big data frameworks and associated processing and storage components (e.g. Hadoop Cloudera/AWS EMR, Spark)
And Key Skills in one or more
of the following:
Details. Wages. Perks.
- Design and development experience in data solutions on AWS/Azure or GCP platforms
- Database and storage eg RDBMS/NoSql/HDFS/S3
- SQL / HQL
- Data modelling concepts (normalised/dimensional/noSql/Big data)
- ETL toolsets (e.g. Informatica)
- Programming Languages - SQL, Python
You'll join us in one of our brilliant digital hubs in your choice of Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield and Blackpool.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
In return for your skills we offer competitive salary up to £62,969 a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%, and a generous leave package starting at 25 days.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application.
- Flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days
- Family friendly policies
- Time off volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with 'I Can Be Me in DWP'
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.