As part of the Management team, you will be expected to have excellent communication skills, to be able to use your own initiative and creativity, to be well organised and to contribute fully to the success of the Book Nook.
Purpose of Job Role
This role is key to the successful performance and day to day running, marketing and management of The Book Nook.
You will ensure that all customers are provided with the highest standard of service to create a positive and memorable visitor experience. Responsible for the smooth operation, you will ensure that the Bookshop has a strong creative and commercial identity whilst serving the needs of our audiences. The successful candidate will have responsibility in all areas of the Bookshop's performance, marketing, and development of the Bookshop in line with the Manager whilst managing day to day retail operations, motivating the team, to ensure sales targets are reached and exceeded and profits maximised.
- Ensure the smooth running of The Book Nook, including weekly administrative duties and helping the Manager supervising staff and volunteers.
- Researching potential authors for events, making contact and developing relationships with authors via their PR contacts and organising events: booking venues and scheduling online event tools, marketing events.
- Managing and assisting at internal and external author, community and school events
- Working with the Manager to lead, inspire and develop staff to deliver exceptional performance.
- Ensure exceptional customer service is consistently delivered.
- Deliver executional excellence in visual merchandising standards, product presentation and process Management.
- Develop a successful strategy to optimise our stock levels.
- Retail experience - at Shop Assistant or Assistant Manager level
_ Experience of creating content for social media, blogs and websites.
- Experience of implementing marketing, social media strategies and business plans.
- A track record of meeting and outperforming sales targets, identifying and responding proactively to market/trading opportunities.
- Ability to prioritise jobs and demonstrate exceptional organisational skills. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate and lead teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to procedural and financial detail
- Strong time Management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Ability to train and develop staff
- Previous experience with EPoS systems
- An entrepreneurial approach to sales and a proven ability to maximise profit
- Highly motivated, organised and with excellent attention to detail
- Positive, approachable and consistent manner
- A team player and self-motivated
- A flexible and pro-active approach to work
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent customer service, and lead by example. Maximise employee potential by sharing knowledge, developing understanding and creating opportunity for skills transfer.
- Windows, all tables, shelves, till points and other display areas to be kept in accordance with the Bookshop's retail standards at all times. Oversee the presentation of stock in the Bookshop to ensure that stock is merchandised to maximise sales.
- Ensure stock availability is maintained throughout the year.
- Working closely with the Manager to shape the offer of the store before opening and beyond. In conjunction with the Manager to develop the retail strategy to maximise revenue, meeting operational and sales targets in line with the Bookshop's business strategy and values. In collaboration with the Manager to buy for the Bookshop with an emphasis on visual art and culture, with an emphasis on independent publishing.
- Put in place adequate systems for the replenishment of stock throughout the year.
- Manage the goods inward and goods outward processes, allocating resources as required. Work towards continually minimising the rate of returns within the business.
- Work with the Manager to position the Shop at the heart of the local community through innovative stock choices, display and promotions.
- Maintain and oversee Shop related pages on various social media platforms and provide regular supply of new content.
- Help set sales targets, developing business plans to maximise growth that reflect trends within the Shop and in the retail sector. To work closely with the Manager to increase the profitability of the Bookshop and support all income generating activities. Manage and oversee weekly stock checks in line with procedures and report on results and communicate these to the Manager. Oversee the optimisation of stock flow and stock Management in line with set targets.
- Create, analyse and distribute regular reports on projections/ forecasts and performance against the budget. Highlighting trends, identifying selling patterns and customer conversion.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• MARKETING, EVENTS MANAGEMENT AND SOCIAL MEDIA
• INTEREST IN LITERATURE
• EDUCATED TO DEGREE LEVEL OR EQUIVALENT
• EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICES SKILLS
• WILLING TO UNDERGO TRAINING
• WILLING TO BE FLEXIBLE
• WILLING TO PROMOTE THE BOOK NOOK AND DEMONSTRATE EXCELLENT INTERPERSONAL SKILLS WITH STAFF AND CUSTOMERS.
• A PROVEN ABILTY TO WORK AS PART OF A TEAM
• STRONG ORGANISATIONAL AND TIME MANAGEMENT SKILLS
• EXCELLENT WRITTEN AND ORAL SKILLS
• COMPUTER LITERATE WITH EXPERIENCE OF WORKING WITH MICROSOFT OFFICE AND SOCIAL MEDIA AND WEB TOOLS E.G. ZOOM, FACEBOOK LIVE