Role: Senior Lawyer -PLT Employment Salary: £49,182-£56,025 Band: MB1 Advert Closing Date: 31 May 2021 The Role
We are looking to recruit a Senior Lawyer-PLT Employment, who will represent Staffordshire and West Midlands Police and their respective Police and Crime Commissioners (the Client) before the appropriate Tribunal and Civil Courts, where you will advise and have conduct of complex Employment/Misconduct cases. Responsibilities You will:
Essential Knowledge & Experience You will be:
- Be responsible for the conduct of legal matters relating to Employment Tribunal, Law, Misconduct/Disciplinary cases, general Employment Law, Misconduct Regulations, TUPE, Pension Law (including Injury on Duty Awards) , Inquests, Disclosure, Judicial Reviews, Legal Professional Privilege (LPP) Information Law and Public Order.
- Manage and supervise a team of Lawyers and Legal Advisors across both specific areas of law of Employment and Misconduct and you will undertake regular supervision.
- Attend meetings relating to cases and updates within the areas of Employment and Misconduct, to attend any of the areas within the designated areas of practice as set out above.
- Promote productive working relationships with appropriate client departments and outside stakeholders, including external agencies, courts and tribunals and other partners.
- Promote collaborative working arrangements and ensure the provision of timely advice across the Forces.
- Drive the recovery of costs where appropriate.
- Report case trends and key cases and issues affecting the clients on a regular basis to the Principal Lawyer.
- A qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a minimum of 5 years post qualification experience.
- Have experience of advising upon and holding complex cases within Employment Tribunal and/or Misconduct Disciplinary Practice.
- Possess experience of one other area of Law as set out in the 'Desirable' work areas below.
- Be flexible, innovative and have a proactive approach to work.
Essential Skills You will have:
- Previous experience of working in a public sector environment within an In-house team.
- Experience of other Legal Areas in Employment Law, Misconduct, Inquest, Judicial Review, Public Order and Disclosure
Effective communication skills both written and verbal.
Excellent negotiation skills.
Exceptional interpersonal skills whilst being personally credible.
Strong leadership skills and the ability to mentor and develop others within the team.
Ability to carry a complex and varied case load.
An agile and flexible approach being able to work in ambiguous and fluid situations.
A collaborative working style with the ability to build professional relationships.
Energy and be highly self-motivated, have personal resilience and be assertive.
Excellent drafting skills.
A sound knowledge of relevant legislation and case law.
Effective time management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines in an efficient and organised manner.
Problem solving and decision making skills. Desirable
Advocacy skills - be able to demonstrate experience in advocacy before courts and/or tribunals.
Able to advise at a senior level in the organisation working with discretion and integrity
Possess a full driving licence and have access to a vehicle for insured
Be flexible, innovative and have a proactive approach to work. Conditions
The role is based on a 36.5 hour week which includes flexi hours. The post holder will be based at West Midlands Police Head Quarters in Birmingham city centre.
Interviews will be via skype on 8 and 10 June 2021West Midlands Police are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future. Diversity and Inclusion Vision: Maximise the potential of people from all backgrounds through a culture of fairness and inclusion to deliver the best service for our communities. West Midlands Police is a Disability Confident Leader - the highest level an organisation can achieve under the scheme run by the Department of Work and Pensions. As part of our commitment we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme - all candidates who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria for the role will be guaranteed an interview.