Experience level:Entry levelTerm:PermanentWorking hours:Full-timeTeam:ConveyancingLocation:NorthamptonThe firm
A leading UK law firm with a network of offices from the South Coast to Scotland, working together as one national team. An innovative practice and the first top 100 law firm to achieve "Gold Standard" Investors in People, our values and culture are not just words on our website but are the heartbeat of the firm. The lack of barriers between departments, a real lack of hierarchy, zero tolerance for arrogance and pomposity makes Shoosmiths a fantastic place to work.
Shoosmiths Private Client Conveyancing Team
offers a highly professional conveyancing service designed to make the process of buying or selling property as efficient and stress-free for their clients.
Shoosmiths remains the largest firm of conveyancing solicitors accredited under the Law Society's Conveyancing Quality Scheme. The conveyancing service provided by our Private Client Practice maintains the same high standards corporate clients have come to expect of Shoosmiths and is consistently commended in national consumer service awards.
We are looking for an Assistant Paralegal who will assist in providing a quality and comprehensive conveyancing service with a customer service focus.
- Acquire basic knowledge of the entire Conveyancing process to include post completion work and be familiar with the roles of support teams such as New Business and Accounts in the process.
- Attend to any office administration requested such as dealing with post, filing, file closures and distributing faxes.
- Prepare draft contract packages, all searches, exchange and completion letters.
- To support Paralegals to progress the administration of transactions proactively with all key stakeholders in the process.
- Assisting Paralegals in keeping task reports up to date daily.
- To ensure that the case management system is kept in an orderly manner and up to date.
- Deal with client queries wherever possible assisting the team with taking and making telephone calls.
- Competently draft non-standard non-technical correspondence.
Full training will be given by our inhouse conveyancing trainer. A mentor will be assigned to you who will provide further training on the day to day running of conveyancing transactions.
You will be required to attend the office during your probation period for training and supervision purposes. There may be an opportunity for agile working once successful completion of probation.
The ideal candidate will have excellent written and oral communication skills gained from previous experience working in a customer service position, preferably in an office environment
. You will enjoy working as part of a team and also adaptable to the changing requirements of the range of clients dealt with.
You will be passionate about helping people and like to be thoroughly organised to prioritise work independently. A legal qualification (LLB, CILEX, CLC, etc.) is not an essential requirement
, but you must be able to demonstrate a keen interest in conveyancing and property law.
Skills and qualifications
Essential knowledge & skills:
- Excellent customer service expertise
- Good written, numeracy and oral communication skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- IT literate including sound knowledge of Word, Excel and the internet.
- Ability to prioritise, be organised and efficient.
- Flexibility with the capability to adapt to change, new practices and cope under pressure but with the ability to recognise when to seek assistance.
- Able to integrate within a team and able to work on your own initiative.
- Friendly and helpful approach.
Desirable knowledge and skills:
You may also have experience in one of the following roles:
- Prior experience within a law firm, financial services/mortgage provider, estate agency or other property-related organisation.
- Basic knowledge of the conveyancing life-cycle (including post-completion).
- Legal qualification such as LLB, CILEX or CLC.
Conveyancing Assistant, Property Assistant, Estate Agent, Sales Progressor, Mortgage Advisor, Customer Service Assistant, Sales Negotiator, or Residential Property Paralegal.