Marine Underwriter We're hiring!
Aon are currently recruiting a Marine Underwriter to join our team in Chelmsford. The Marine Underwriter will be primarily responsible for leading and managing the Global Broking Centre(GBC) Marine (Cargo, Hull & Liability) Structured Portfolio Solutions.
This is a great opportunity to join a market leading team with a track record of developing talent. About Aon
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria. Aon Underwriting Managers (AUM)
AUM undertakes underwriting and claims handling services on behalf of insurers and delivers expertise in specific product ranges or trade sectors. AUM focuses on commercial insurance products across Accident and Health, Property and Casualty, Financial Lines and Marine sectors. AUM fulfils many of the roles of an insurance company - underwrites (evaluates the risks and exposures of potential clients against the insurance covers), prices (determines the premium that is charged to insure that risk), issues policies, mid-term adjustments and renewals and on some facilities, manages the claims handling and settlement.
AUM has an in-depth understanding of the diverse range of solutions that we offer and our insurance products are specially designed and unique to Aon. About the Role Your impact as a Marine Underwriter:
About you Your knowledge and expertise:
- Undertake overall responsibility of the underwriting process for the GBC Marine SPS;
- Provide guidance and training on technical underwriting issues;
- Insuring that individual risks are bound promptly and in accordance with the delegated underwriting authority;
- Recording of risks on the Policy Administration System in an accurate and timely fashion;
- Meeting agreed service standard to bind risks and ensure that the relevant policies are accurate and issued within agreed timescales;
- Ensuring full compliance with the Delegated Authority from insurers;
- Building an excellent working relationship with the GBC teams;
- Building excellent working relationships with supporting insurers;
- Participate in regular insurer meetings to review progress of the facility;
- Work with Insurers to deliver the underwriting strategy, to understand Insurers' risk appetite and expectations;
- Maintain a high level of technical knowledge and input into technical and commercial market intelligence;
- Monitor and control of new and renewal business, including aggregate monitoring;
- To act fully in compliance with FCA rules and guidelines and with Aon Policy;
- Take overall responsibility for meeting the teams financial budget/plan;
- Responsibility for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
Salary and Benefits
- Track record in technical Underwriting;
- Well-developed influencing skills and the ability to achieve success through others;
- Self-disciplined and organised;
- Excellent problem-solving skills, analytical and numerical skills;
- Proven interpersonal skills, capable of dealing with domestic and international clients, business stakeholders and external bodies;
- Commercial acumen and negotiation skills of the highest order;
- Motivation, coaching and development of staff - proven track record in effective people management;
- Well-developed knowledge of FSA requirements and standards;
- Enthusiastic team player with the ability to build and develop positive relationships and capable of negotiating reasons for change / plans to a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Able to establish and maintain relationships with brokers and carriers;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- High level of numeracy;
- IT skills: Microsoft Excel and Word;
- Accurate and timely throughput of work;
- Ability to work proactively without direct supervision, as well as part of a team.
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare and additional holiday. We also offer tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation. Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
We're happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we're happy to discuss options with you upon application.