About the role
We are seeking to appoint a Legal Counsel to support our global business on general commercial matters, particularly focussing on data protection and intellectual property. You will be motivated to be part of a dynamic and highly regarded team looking to build a fantastic legal function by offering true solutions led support. The role will report to our Associate General Counsel who leads on IP, Data Protection and Licensing, and is based at Abcam's head office in Cambridge, UK.
Our General Counsel and Company Secretary leads an agile and focussed team of six lawyers based in both Cambridge, UK and Boston, US. The IP, Data Protection and Licensing team support Abcam's global sales, BD and marketing teams and comprises the AGC to whom the successful candidate will report, a Senior Contracts Manager and a Senior Commercial Counsel (currently being appointed).
Roles & responsibilities
• Assist with the management, exploitation and enforcement of Abcam's global trademark and patent portfolio
• Advise on data protection issues relating to the global business, including reviewing DPIAs and LIAs and assisting with our data SAR processes
• Support the AGC in a dvising on a wide range of general commercial issues, both BAU and project based, including advertising, promotion, marketing, procurement, e-commerce, competition, regulatory matters and dispute resolution
• Draft and negotiate collaboration agreements, data protection agreements, distribution agreements, licences, MSAs, and MTAs
• Develop and provide training for the business with respect to legal issues, policies and procedures
• Provide support on M&A and compliance matters
Our ideal candidate will be a qualified solicitor with significant PQE, a strong academic background and who originally trained in a top tier private practice firm gaining solid commercial experience. Ideally, you will have supported life sciences clients in private practice and/or worked in-house in a life sciences organisation. A degree or higher in a natural sciences discipline would also be an advantage.
We are looking for someone who can work with global cross functional teams, senior stakeholders and clients. You must have a high degree of work ethic, integrity and professional transparency. You must also to demonstrate your ability to manage and prioritise multiple assignments.
If this sounds like you and you'd like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
Pay and Benefits
In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (including our award-winning share scheme, 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave), a culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development, and a highly flexible working environment.
What's more, as a WORK180 Endorsed Employer, we are recognized globally as an organization that's diverse, inclusive and supports women in the workplace.
Inclusion & Diversity
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.