Technology is the key to our business to unlock its potential: The Operations Manager within the Research Technology Business unit, will excite and inspire our brightest minds in the work they do. By helping our team's transition to modern software delivery practices in the cloud, you will be coaching, collaborating, designing, and to a degree, engineering a diverse and modern delivery culture and platform in support of the majority of researchers in the world. We also have a goal to adopt SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) practices to drive availability, and reliability of our products, and you will be key to the adoption of this strategy over the next few years.
In return, we offer you the opportunity to make a significant and tangible difference. We promise you'll be challenged and rewarded by the work you do in equal measure where you'll work in an exciting and evolving workplace, collaborating with an international team of like-minded professionals. In addition, you'll benefit from all the career opportunities expected of a prestigious, global company.
The technology transformation that is taking place across Elsevier is being delivered by newly formed agile teams across the globe. The Operations Manager within the Research Technology Business unit will lead part of the Central Technology, Infrastructure, and Operations team extensively using AWS and associated cloud and software construction technologies.
This outstanding role is in support of our transformation to a modern software and analytics firm and will have impacts across several key strategic products and services within the Elsevier Research Domain. This position is responsible for the development of an efficient community of engineering excellence (this means you'll manage the team, the stakeholder and engineering engagement, and performance).
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable proficiency in all aspects of the DevOps culture, working flexibly and collaboratively within Technology and across an enterprise organization; ideally possessing direct experience as a software engineer before transitioning into infrastructure and build engineering. They would also:
- Be interested in working for a global organization known for doing good things around the world.
- Possess a desire to work within an advanced tech stack surrounded by a brilliant set of technologists.
- Want to be a key player in our open-engaging-collaborative-Agile team.
- Have a strong understanding of SRE practices, and disciplines, and be able to articulate how they would implement these in an Enterprise organisation.
In this growth infused, high-visibility, mission critical role you will be tasked with:
- Supporting the growth of the teams, to include recruitment.
- Communicating regularly and clearly in the vein of collaboration, coaching, and professional growth.
- Pairing strategic objectives with the professional growth plans of your team members.
- Serve as a key interface with the various technology organizations.
- Removing impediments, providing support, and generally being a good leader for those around you.
- Empower the staff to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
- Continuing to grow and develop a DevOps culture, and practices across the portfolio of products.
- Supporting the goal to transition to SRE practices, and platform focused technologies.
- Support complex application stacks in a cloud setting. Ensure applications are highly available and secured.
- Deep understanding and direct working experience with CI/CD using multiple SDLCs.
- Experience with Agile methodologies for project management.
- Strong understanding of a modern scripting language (GoLang, Python, PS1)
- Understanding of OOP.
- Reducing costs and expenditures for cloud assets.
- Strong understanding of Security best practices, and how to remediate vulnerabilities.
- Strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to bring together teams to collaborate in resolving incidents.
Elsevier is in the midst of a transformation, evolving from a publishing company that assures quality control in scientific output (although this will remain important) into a researcher productivity & analytics company that assures better outcomes in every interaction within the scientific world. We are focused on building an integrated, social and personal toolset that delivers differential value to researchers and research entities in helping them with the challenges they face. The linking of our traditional strengths of our publishing business to leading edge technology is critical to our success.
Choosing to work at Elsevier is choosing to use your talents in a professionally challenging environment, where your personal development and technical expertise will be valued and rewarded. You'll get the balance of working on a truly worthwhile endeavour without sacrificing any career advantages, but actually enjoying greater professional opportunities. It's about making an intelligent choice.
Elsevier is a global information analytics company that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity.
Elsevier empowers professionals and institutions to realize the potential of information to improve academic, corporate, and clinical performance, expand human knowledge, and generate positive-often ground-breaking-outcomes in critical domains of human endeavour.