A leading global Banking group is seeking an experienced lawyer at VP level with responsibility for legal, regulatory and supervisory matters for the subsidiaries and branches of the bank in EMEA. This role can be based in either Manchester or Edinburgh and will work closely with the bank's legal team across the UK and EMEA
Main focus of the role (i) advice and counsel on supervisory and regulatory issues for the subsidiaries and branches of the bank in EMEA, and (ii) legal support for EMEA regulatory change implementation and remediation projects.
- legal support and strategic advice for regulatory matters including in relation to responsiveness, content and quality of responses to requests and requirements of national regulators and supervisors;
- legal support, advice and guidance for implementation projects for regulatory remediation, regulatory change programmes and compliance with national legislation and regulation in EMEA;
- thought leadership regarding regulatory relationships and requirements; and
- review and/or drafting of internal policies and position papers and external comment and response letters in connection with regulatory proposals and industry initiatives .
The successful candidate will have at least 3 years PQE with a legal background in bank and/or broker dealer supervisory and regulatory matters in a UK or European regulatory agency or financial institution or within Private Practice.
Desired technical experience includes:
- Interpretation guidance in respect of statutes, directives, regulations and regulatory guidance;
- Advice to various levels of management on UK and European regulation eg AIFMD, UCITS, MIFID, CRD, BRRD and DGSD;
- Preparation of communications to regulators;
- Assistance to business lines in respect of regulatory change programmes including legal impact and gap analyses and supervisory trends;
- Assistance with preparation of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable requirements ;
- Drafting of contractual revisions required to comply with regulatory requirements;
- Supporting responses to supervisory/enforcement actions and advising on remediation programmes;
- Policy and advocacy efforts through meeting with and briefing regulatory agency staff, industry bodies (AGC, AFME, ISDA etc), drafting of comment letters in response to proposed regulations and monitoring of regulatory and legal developments;
- Proven ability to deliver and manage legal support for regulatory change and implementation projects;
- Experience of managing outside counsel on major deliverables; and
- Experience of participation in relevant industry bodies and informal peer networking forums.