Project AccountantGosport, HampshireCompetitive Salary and Benefits PackageWho is STS Defence?
STS Defence is a UK based technology and engineering company, specialising in mission-critical communications, electronics and intelligent systems. We operate in markets that include the defence, marine, aerospace and nuclear sectors.
As a member of our team you can expect to join an exciting, innovative technology and engineering company where our 'mission' is to deliver solutions that make a difference. We'll also make it our mission to invest in you by offering career development programmes that will support you in reaching your full potential!The Opportunity We are scaling new heights in our development and delivery of new and innovative solutions for the defence and maritime sectors, and we want the best talent on-board to join us on our journey...
We have created this new role to support our existing team of project delivery specialists. This role will be based at our Head Office in Gosport, near Portsmouth.
The Project Accountant is a pivotal member of our project delivery team and is responsible for strengthening the project reporting and controls across the business.The main objective of the role is to generate value by enabling the business to deliver improved operations through management of enhanced reporting and analysis, and with a focus on automation through system and process improvement.
Operating across different operational areas and departments, the Project Accountant is responsible for supporting a variety of design, manufacturing and engineering support projects to time, budget and quality. The role will also support all aspects of the project lifecycle from bid to project closure, enabling improved decision making and operational performance throughout. You will be proactively managing, influencing and driving progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate corrective action at all stages from bid to closure.Other aspects include:
What we're looking for in you:
- Support the project planning process, taking into account the need to analyse resources and equipment for all required project activities, and ensure that full visibility of costs is given. Produce business cases where needed.
- Regular reporting and forecasting of project costs, profitability, cash flow and risks against budget. Reconcile reporting and forecasting of costs across systems and reports, ensuring accuracy and control at all times.
- Communicate and document progress, issues and solutions to senior managers and the wider project delivery teams, obtaining their input as appropriate, throughout the project lifecycle(s) ensuring full control at all stages in line with delegations.
- Ensure any project changes are proactively identified, captured and managed with generation of accurate reports for customers where needed.
- Support continuous improvement and project management capability development across STS Defence with improved system tools, automation and processes.
- Ensure compliance to overall Finance Department standards and procedures. Assist the wider finance team in other tasks as may be needed from time to time.
Why work for STS Defence?
- Degree qualified or educated to an equivalent standard in finance.
- High level of attention to detail and the ability to work independently.
- Direct experience with project finances in a business setting.
- Good commercial awareness and understanding of financial management.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the key principles of cross functional project management.
- Demonstrate a good understanding and/ or experience gained in the use PM tools e.g. MSP, Gantt charts, RAID, and project reporting.
- A strong interest and understanding in business analysis: developing engaging reports, MI and managing complex datasets.
- Conversant with Excel, with an ability to use bespoke systems and IT packages quickly and efficiently
- Possess strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate flexibility to respond to urgent requests and meet tight deadlines
- Possess strong problem-solving, decision making and time-management skills, and the confidence to contribute to the development of innovative solutions to challenging and complex problems
- Excellent written and verbal skills, and possess a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent presentation and communications skills
- Holder of a full UK driving licence, with the ability to travel, when required
- Opportunity to join an exciting, innovative technology and engineering company where our mission is to deliver solutions that make a difference
- Professional training programmes and year on year growth gives access to significant career development opportunities
- Great central location on the south coast with opportunities to travel
- Competitive basic salary
- Flexible holiday scheme with 25 days holiday a year in addition to bank holidays as standard and the option to purchase up to a further 5 days holiday each year
- Company pension scheme with above statutory employer contributions
- Life assurance cover
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Working hours that include a normal finish time of 1pm on Fridays
- Access to a wide range of corporate discounts and additional benefits
- A service leaver friendly employer and signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant
- A recognised 'Disability Confident' employer