This is an exciting time to join Carers’ Support East Kent. We are looking for a new Chair of Trustees who will offer strategic and supportive leadership to our collaborative and committed Board.
Carers’ Support East Kent is a charity that provides Carers with the information and support they need. Our services are available to people looking after a relative or friend, who due to physical or mental illness, age related difficulties, disability or an addiction, cannot manage without their support.
By becoming our new Chair you will have the opportunity to be part of a well established organisation celebrating 20 years supporting carers. This is an exciting time to join our Charity and help steer its strategic direction to continue providing its invaluable work for more years to come.
The role of Chair of the Board of Trustees is to lead and develop the strategic direction of the Charity with the Board and CEO, ensuring decisions are implemented and results are delivered. The Chair is responsible with the Board for ensuring compliance with all legal responsibilities and maintaining the highest standards of charity governance.
You will make a difference by facilitating and stimulating well-rounded and strategic decision-making whilst working in partnership with the CEO, Trustees and other senior members of staff to achieve the aims of the Charity. Your leadership will support our Board to fulfil its responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the Charity.
Please see the candidate pack for further details about the role.
The Chair must meet the following requirements:
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation, essentially in the charity sector.
- Strong leadership skills able to foster and promote a collaborative team environment and effectively engage and manage wide ranging stakeholders.
- Understand, accept and adhere to the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship.
- Strategic and forward looking vision in relation to the Charity’s objects and aims.
- Good, independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and external environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to listen to others, facilitate, mediate, negotiate and influence; respecting the opinions of others and maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Work in line with the values of the Charity and demonstrate behaviours that promote values in action, equality, diversity and inclusion and promote a culture where everyone feels safe and respected.
- Balancing tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and be challenged when necessary and provide constructive criticism to facilitate development.
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the Charity and its strategic objectives and values.
We would also welcome applications from individuals looking to join us as Trustees. We would be keen to receive applications from candidates with the following backgrounds: HR, Voluntary and Community Sector, Health and Social Care, Health and Safety & Finance.
The time commitment for the Chair involves the following activities:
- 4 Board meetings per year normally held after 6pm for 2 hours.
- In addition to chairing the main Board meetings, where committees are active the Chair will be a member of at least one committee. Committees usually meet quarterly, subject to change based on the needs of the Charity.
- Preparation for and follow up from meetings.
- Providing line management to the CEO, including support, enabling development and achievement and assuring that targets/objectives are being met.
- Being involved in recruitment, induction and appraising of the Trustees Board; engage with Trustees between meetings, often by email or phone, and provide support to ensure collective working.
- Represent the Charity at events and meetings with key stakeholders when necessary.
Please note that the role requires an enhanced DBS check, Trustee eligibility and reference checks.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and covering letter. In the covering letter please include how your skills and experience match the person specification, why you wish to join the Board and any other relevant details in support of your application.
Closing date for applications: 14th June 2021
Interviews: w/c 28th June 2021.