Senior Legal Counsel - Legal - London The Role
We are looking for a Senior Legal Counsel based in London (although there will be a requirement to travel to other Aviva locations where needed). In this role you will be acting as a senior legal adviser within the Aviva Investors legal team, providing a first class legal service to the Aviva Investors Real Assets business in relation to all real asset funds (real estate, infrastructure, debt) and corporate real estate transactions and joint ventures, you will support a key strategic business function and act as a support and control to that business, enabling progress towards its strategic objectives. Responsibilities
- Provide first class, timely, commercially focused and industry leading legal service.
- Provide leadership and guidance to other lawyers, as appropriate.
- Discharge specific and significant responsibilities, at direction of line manager.
- Draft Legal risk reports summarising material legal risk issues.
- Legal and Company Secretarial Business Standard is shown to be embedded throughout AI and that effective controls are in place to ensure compliance.
- The Legal Outsourcing Protocol is applied fully in relation to the decision to outsource, the choice of external supplier and the management of that supplier.
- Support the real asset business within Aviva Investors, with particular emphasis on, fund creation, structuring and related documentation; fund management issues including restructuring, refinancing and asset manager relationships; structured acquisitions and disposals in real estate; joint ventures in real estate; providing oversight and advice on key legislative and common law developments affecting the AI business and funds in particular; and appointing and managing external lawyers engaged on the above matters.
Working at Aviva Investors
- A solicitor, barrister, or qualified equivalent.
- Strong knowledge of alternative investment and other unregulated funds in the real assets space (real estate, infrastructure, debt) as well as commonly used real estate investment and fund structures.
- Experience in both UK and Luxembourg fund structures, plus ideally Jersey.
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory environment and market standard approaches also required.
- Technical expert in areas of law relevant to unauthorised fund structures and the operator of those funds, including AIFMD.
- Developing experience and expertise in ESG related regulatory developments applicable to funds such as the Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation.
- Strong oral and written communication and problem-solving skills.
- Understand the needs of the business and commercial approach.
- Experience of dealing at senior management/executive level.
- Proven ability to manage major projects, negotiations, and relationships with third parties and external advisers.
Aviva Investors is a global asset manager with broad and deep expertise across all major asset classes. As part of the Aviva Group - the UK's largest insurance company - we are uniquely positioned to combine our insurance heritage with our investment capabilities to deliver the outcomes that matter most to today's investor.
More than 1,500 people work across the globe, bringing it all together for today's investor. When everyone feels part of a unified team, in an environment of fairness, inclusion and positivity, we all achieve more. We care deeply about this, which is why we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
At Aviva, we're people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow. We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of how we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take responsibility, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too. We're all about our people - that's you - so we can be pretty flexible. In fact, we don't advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area's needs vary. So, it's up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job
. Just send us an email
once you've applied stating that you have a disclosed
disability, and we'll make sure we interview you.
We'd love it if you could submit your application online
. If you require an alternative method
of applying, please send an email to GlobalRecruitment@avivainvestors.com
* As defined in The Equality Act 2010
*. By 'minimum criteria'
we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.