Senior Legal Counsel - Real Assets- London The Role
We are looking for a Senior Legal Counsel based in London (although travel to other Aviva Investors locations where needed) to join our legal team on a permanent basis. In this role you will act as senior legal adviser, providing first class legal service to relevant area of the business and predominantly leading in complex legal initiatives and projects. You will assist the Head of Legal in proactively monitoring and mitigating legal risks in accordance with the Group Legal and Company Secretarial Standard ("the Standard"). In this role you are responsible for the strategic thinking and direction in respect of legal advice for a particular area of the relevant business unit. Responsibilities
- Provide first class, timely, commercially focused and industry leading legal service.
- Legal risk reports which summarise material legal risk issues for own area of accountability.
- Leadership and guidance provided to other lawyers and direct reports, as appropriate.
- Specific and significant responsibilities are discharged, at the direction of Line Manager
- Appropriate liaison and cooperation with business areas - to promote risk management reporting, control and awareness initiatives within those business units, in order to provide reasonable assurance that those business areas are controlling legal risk in accordance with the Standard.
- Active management of the instruction of external lawyers in accordance with the Supplier Protocol, with a view to minimising expenditure on external suppliers.
- Proactive contribution to the sharing of expertise and resource across Legal so as to make best use of internal resource, notwithstanding ownership and location of that resource.
- Takes the opportunity to contribute and utilise my skills and knowledge to enhance the performance of the team.
Working at Aviva Investors
- A solicitor entitled to practice in the UK or a relevant jurisdiction.
- Experience of dealing at senior management level
- Proven ability to provide legal advice for major projects, negotiations and relationships with third parties and external advisers
- Technical expert in areas of law relevant to specific responsibilities (see attached appendix - as required)
- Broad understanding of the relevant regulatory environment.
- Strong oral and written communication
- Problem solving skills applied in respect of own caseload and identifying, managing and reporting risks associated with that caseload.
- Ability to provide technical leadership, and transfer knowledge to "up-skill" legal teams through coaching.
Aviva Investors is a global asset manager with broad and deep expertise across all major asset classes. As part of the Aviva Group - the UK's largest insurance company - we are uniquely positioned to combine our insurance heritage with our investment capabilities to deliver the outcomes that matter most to today's investor.
More than 1,500 people work across the globe, bringing it all together for today's investor. When everyone feels part of a unified team, in an environment of fairness, inclusion and positivity, we all achieve more. We care deeply about this, which is why we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
At Aviva, we're people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow. We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of how we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take responsibility, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too. We're all about our people - that's you - so we can be pretty flexible. In fact, we don't advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area's needs vary. So, it's up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job
. Just send us an email
once you've applied stating that you have a disclosed
disability, and we'll make sure we interview you.
We'd love it if you could submit your application online
. If you require an alternative method
of applying, please send an email to GlobalRecruitment@avivainvestors.com
* As defined in The Equality Act 2010
*. By 'minimum criteria'
we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.