IHS Markit Global IT provide services across a broad range of technical disciplines and leverages investment in world class technologies in support of IHS Markit's products and clients. Solutions Engineering is responsible for defining, planning and delivering infrastructure solutions.
Through our experience we support all IHS Markit's products on a global basis offering a breadth of "right sized" IT solutions in terms of availability, speed, capacity, security, efficiency, scalability and manageability. Position Summary
Candidates for this position will work as member of the Commercial Product Delivery & Support team and will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a comprehensive understanding of IHS Markit's major application platforms and the component systems on which they depend.
The candidate will focus on end-to-end performance of platform component systems and will work across the Infrastructure and Information Security organizations to identify ways in which the availability and resiliency of these applications can be enhanced. He/she will assist these organizations in establishing operational practices for managing overall performance and availability through the comprehensive and consistent monitoring, event correlation, release management, security management, capacity management, and disaster recovery.
He/she will work closely with members of the Product Design & Development (PD&D) organization, advocating design decisions that will reduce the complexity and technical debt of IHS Markit's existing systems and to improve the resiliency and supportability of future systems. He/she will influence the infrastructure design needed to host those applications through his/her knowledge of deployment and operational best practices.
Success in this position will require a broad knowledge of the principles of engineering architecture and design including technologies such as web hosting, database solutions, virtualization, networking, storage, security, and desktop environments. The candidate must be a team player able to collaborate effectively with colleagues globally. The candidate must possess soft skills including a positive attitude, strong work ethic, excellent verbal and written communications, people skills, creative and abstract thinking, negotiations, results-driven project management, business acumen, and the ability to lead and influence others.
In addition to those items listed below, the ideal candidate will have prior exposure to Public Cloud (Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure) and DevOps tools and procedures. Duties & Accountabilities
Specific Job Duties
- Participate as part of a project team in developing, implementing and supporting infrastructure technologies for the business.
- Provide technical support and problem resolution on complex and moderately complex issues in one or more of the following areas: servers, networking, storage, data centers or desktop environments.
- Provide customer-facing support service to internal colleagues as required.
- Manage small to medium-sized projects or portions of large projects and assist in resolving issues and planning for new applications and services.
- Identify and recommend opportunities to improve and enhance communication services to internal and external customers.
- Establish delivery timelines for small to medium-sized programs or portions of a program; manage assigned segment of program within budget and time constraints.
- Monitor and report to management on program status, identify issues that may impede attainment of goals, recommend and implement corrective measures.
- Provide technical direction and training to more junior Technical Services personnel.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education & Experience
- Work directly with project managers and development managers in the context of a project team to design, implement, and troubleshoot the infrastructure required to support new applications or to scale existing applications.
- Develop the guidelines and procedures necessary to troubleshoot the performance of an application prior to go-live.
- Act as a third-tier escalation point for applications and infrastructure systems.
- Collaborate with Product Design & Development, Service Management, Solution Delivery and Operational Support to resolve technical or procedural issues and suggest alternatives.
- Consult with Senior Management, Service Management, Solution Delivery and Operational Support on the development of new infrastructure processes and procedures.
- Partner with Product Design & Development and Operational Support on the evaluation and standardization of new technologies.
- Act as liaison between Product Design & Development, Solution Delivery and Operational Support to clarify implementation concerns and technical direction.
- Drive the adoption of new technologies, infrastructure processes and procedures, and approved best practices and standards within the organization.
- Provide technical direction, mentoring and training to Technical Engineers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience supporting IT industry best practices.
- Knowledge of application infrastructure design patterns and support methodologies.
- 8+ years of enterprise-level Information Technology experience.
- 6+ years supporting 24x7 production environments.
Deep experience with one or more of the following:
Experience with one or more of the following is highly desirable:
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Windows Server
- Red Hat Linux
- Active Directory and LDAP
- Virtualization technologies (VMware vSphere 5 preferred)
- Big IP F5 load-balancer (LTM, GTM and AAM modules)
- AVI load-balancer
- Networking technologies (TCP/IP v4, v6, and basic network troubleshooting skills)
- Storage technologies (CIFS, NFS, mounts, shares, ACLs)
- VMC (VMware running on AWS)
- Amazon Web Services
- Web Servers - IIS, Apache, Tomcat
- Application Servers - JBoss, Oracle Middleware, IBM WebSphere
- Oracle - Including RMAN, DataGuard, Flashback
- Microsoft SQL Server
- PL/SQL shell scripting and query optimization
- Windows PowerShell
- Microsoft .NET Framework
- MySQL and Sybase
- ESRI ArcGIS
Professional certifications are highly desirable but not required. Personal Impact
What We Offer
- Must be able to manage own schedule with the flexibility needed to support colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal skills - must be able to work effectively as part of a project/program team, set expectations, and foster team cooperation.
- Strong analytical and solutions design and architecture skills.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong budgeting and financial control skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to successfully lead a project team.
- Takes responsibility for their own actions and the actions of their team.
- Displays energy, drive, and stamina.
- Able to progress multiple tasks at the same time.
- Open minded, flexible, and willing to adapt to changing situations.
- Innovative, enthusiastic, and keen to gain greater responsibility in their next role.
- Must be an excellent communicator both written and verbally. Will be dealing with a variety of different people at all levels.
- Will need to work within a global environment and communicate clearly with teams in different geographic regions.
- Must be able to work in a team environment where influencing and motivational skills are paramount.
- Competitive base salary, bonus plans and equity.
- A comprehensive, benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance plans, paid time off, a generous 401k match with no vesting period, parental leave and 3 volunteering days each year. For more information on benefits, please access the benefits page on our careers site: https://careers.ihsmarkit.com/benefits.php.
- For work locations in the state of Colorado, the anticipated base salary range for this role would be between $71,760 and $92,000. Compensation will be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, and abilities of the applicant.
Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.