Description About this role Data Science at BlackRock:
BlackRock's AI Labs is a central Data Science and Engineering team that was set up to accelerate innovation and technology in artificial intelligence, and to have firm-wide impact using data science to tackle strategic problems. The team is led by Dr. Rachel Schutt and Professor Stephen Boyd, Samsung Professor of Engineering at Stanford. The kinds of problems you'd be working on:
The team you'd be part of:
- Building a dynamic pricing and auto-bidding engine for the security lending business
- Alpha generation: extracting signals from alternative data sets that provide investment opportunities to investors.
- Predictive models in sales and marketing applications in order to anticipate client behaviour and needs.
- Natural language processing in order to extract and correlate n-grams from unstructured text including from financial reports, news, and contracts in order to drive contextual understanding in different business applications across the firm.
- Graph Analysis for path generation for data lineage/provenance, ontological development, or network analytics.
- Automating repeatable tasks done by humans to free them up to work on the tasks that require their human intelligence
The team has grown to 25+ data scientists and data engineers. The team works collaboratively; and is a multi-disciplinary team with the following skills and capabilities: machine learning, statistical modeling, signal detection, natural language processing, data visualization, network/graph modeling, ETL, data pipelines, data architecture, communication, product management and strategy. We work with data from a wide variety of sources including text, news feeds, financial reports, time series transactions, user behavior logs, and real-time data.
AI Labs has offices in New York, Palo Alto, and Edinburgh. The team has several Stanford professors as senior advisors with world-class expertise in machine learning, statistics, optimization and stochastic control. These advisors include Emanuel Candes, Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani, and Mykel Kochenderfer who dedicate time in our Palo Alto office and provide advice and mentorship for all members of the global team.
We will be hiring a mix of tech leads and individual contributors with deep expertise in certain areas, as well as generalists. All individuals will be expected to have proven statistical/mathematical, and/or algorithmic/computational foundation and writing code is required. Each individual will be encouraged to contribute and lead based on their experience and expertise.
As this is a new team, we will be in start-up mode, so you would be helping to build and craft the team and culture from the ground up. You should therefore be comfortable with ambiguity and willing to be pro-active in your contributions, and evolve as the team grows. Job Description:
As a Data Engineer
, you will improve BlackRock's product and services suite by crafting, growing and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture. You will build and operationalize data pipelines to enable AI Labs to deliver high quality data-driven product. You will be accountable for managing high-quality datasets exposed for internal and external consumption by downstream users and applications. Your responsibilities:
- Build and maintain optimized data pipeline architectures on large and complex data sets.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet BlackRock business requirements.
- Work with stakeholders to assist in the data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Automate manual ingest processes and optimize data delivery subject to service level agreements; work with infrastructure on re-design for greater scalability.
- Keep data separated and segregated according to relevant data policies.
- Work with data scientists to develop data ready tools to support their job.
- Assist in the development of business recommendations with effective presentation of findings at multiple levels of stakeholders using visual analytic displays of quantitative information. Communicate findings with stakeholders as necessary.
Interested? Hit apply! Our benefits
- 3+ years of experience in a data engineer role with a BA or MS degree in a quantitative discipline (computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science, economics, physics, engineering or related field)
- Experience with OO or object scripting language such as Python, Scala, and Java
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience with relational databases.
- Experience with Amazon AWS and Google Cloud Platforms
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker
- Basic familiarity with statistics and machine learning methods
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.