We are currently seeking applications for a Health and Nutrition Inspector within Education Scotland where location can be flexible, and based throughout Scotland. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments.
The main purpose of the Health and Nutrition Inspector (HNI) is to monitor and report on the implementation of the Schools (Health Promotion and Nutrition) (Scotland) Act 2007 through a programme of primary, secondary and special school inspections.
In liaison with Education Scotland and the Scottish Government, HNI's work in partnership with key organisations to support and promote improvements in health and wellbeing in Scotland's schools. They take a lead role in relation to the provision of food for school children and young people across Scotland, providing advice to Scottish Government Ministers on how well local authorities and schools are meeting the requirements of the Act. HNI's also contribute to the evaluation of the progress and impact of Curriculum for Excellence on the health and wellbeing of Scotland's children and young people.
This role promotes improvement across Scotland through external evaluative and scrutiny activities, identifying and disseminating highly-effective practice and building capacity to support continuous improvement with local authorities and their partners.
Please note: This role requires a significant amount of travel and staying and working away from home as Health and Nutrition Inspectors are required to undertake scrutiny and inspection activity across all areas of Scotland.
A relevant degree in dietetics or nutrition is required for this post.
Other qualifications equivalent to these may also be acceptable, if you are in any doubt please contact to discuss.
Please note: If you fail to demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications as stated above, your application will be automatically sifted out.
1. Proven successful professional experience in education / services for children and young people.
2. Strong knowledge and understanding of current policies, issues and practice in relation to food, nutrition, and health and wellbeing.
3. Excellent skills in using evidence to assess and evaluate the quality and impact of practice.
4. Significant experience of collaborative partnership working and engagement with stakeholders and excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
• UK nationals
• nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UKs
• nationals of the Republic of Ireland
• nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
• relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
• relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
• certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
We strongly urge that EU nationals who may not have Settled or Pre-Settled Status make an application before 30 June 2021, to ensure their continued eligibility to employment.
For further information on this vacancy please download and review the "Person Specification and Further Information for Job Applicants" which you will find below.
To apply, you must fully complete and submit an online application via this website before the closing date.
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Louise Turnbull at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Information Regarding Interviews
In recognition of the Scottish Government's ongoing measures and guidance in its response to Covid-19 (Coronavirus), we would like to advise applicants that a decision has been taken that all interviews must be conducted in a virtual/remote setting.
In order to facilitate this new way of working, we are asking all applicants to ensure that they have a suitable space to complete the virtual interview. In addition, a personal device of choice, which has the interview application downloaded. This could be MS Teams or Webex for example. This will allow candidates to undertake the interview/assessment if selected. We are also asking you to ensure that your personal Wi-Fi/Broadband capacity will be sufficient to carry both audio and video feeds.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact the resourcing team via email@example.com.