Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.Business Area:
Financial Management, Commercial TeamRole:
Divisional Business Manager - Strategic Advisory (EMEA/US)Location:
Lead Divisional Business Manager, Strategic AdvisoryHours of work:
Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 5.30pm with flexibility around these times to meet deadlines and requirements of the role.Department/Role Overview:
The Divisional Business Manager will work with, and support, the Strategic Advisory Division Head (DH) and Practice Heads (PHs) to implement firm and divisional strategy and to ensure the efficient operational management of the global division.
Will assume day to day responsibility for the financial performance of the division, focusing primarily on the EMEA and US region and working closely with the Asia Pacific based Lead Business Manager for Strategic Advisory.Main responsibilities:
Structure and scope
- Maximising financial performance, efficiency and financial discipline;
- Client and matter pricing and profitability management;
- Divisional profit and loss account management; and
- Divisional planning, budgets and forecasting.
- A member of the global finance team, reporting to the Lead Divisional Business Manager, Strategic Advisory.
- Primary focus to work with, and support, the DH in driving financial performance.
- Work closely with Business Managers to ensure consistency of implementation across practices and regions.
- Work together with the Division, Financial and Central Management teams to implement firm strategy initiatives.
- Work with the DH and PHs to develop and introduce Division and Practice specific strategic plans.
Client pricing and profitability
- Primarily responsible for the Division's input into the firm's annual budgeting and financial planning processes.
- Provide advice on fee proposals and pitches working closely with Partners, the Pricing team, Commercial Finance and Business Development teams.
- Create upfront financial plans for specific legal projects, including consideration of alternative pricing structures, service levels and resourcing requirements.
- Monitor fee arrangements post matter inception, challenge recovery rates and assess resourcing compared to the financial plan.
Global policies and procedures
- Monitor financial performance across the Division and advise DH/PHs on operational issues affecting financial performance.
- Monitor activity levels and advise the DH/PHs of over or under capacity in different areas of the business.
- Oversee working capital exposure, working with DH and PHs and the central Financial Management team to ensure that lock-up is being managed in accordance with targets, including a particular focus on ensuring that large or old balances are being properly addressed.
- Attend Division/Practice Partner meetings and ensure follow-up of agreed actions.
- Work with HR team to support recruitment activity, ensuring hiring needs are justified.
- Ensure proactive and effective internal communications across all groups in the Division.
- Any other ad hoc duties and support as required by the DH or PHs.
Ensure that global policies and procedures are being followed and implemented within the Division.Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requirements and internal policies.Essential skills and experience:
- Professional business qualification e.g. ACA, ACCA or MBA.
- Strong commercial finance background.
- A proven track record of delivering quality analysis, solutions and advice at senior management level.
- Strong communication skills - written, verbal and presentational.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Experience in professional services environment, and business partnering in particular, desirable.