Senior Database Administrator - DBALocation:
£60,000 to £70,000Job Type:
Our clients' is an innovative, highly successful organisation supplying leading edge technology to the NHS.
This role will require working in a local Operations Team interpreting requirements, providing technical support for the deployment and release management functions and providing 2nd & 3rd line support for bug fixing and optimising existing software and hardware within the current product set.
The role will also include the mentoring and coaching of team members to deliver high levels of effectiveness and productivity and lead by example as a highly productive senior DBA.
Through liaison with Programme Managers, Developers and customers, the role will assist the organisations with the planning, enhancing and deploying of bespoke clinical IT applications
To provide dynamic and creative 2nd / 3rd line support to the organisation and act as the escalation point for customers and Project Managers regarding incident and problem management issues.
To provide a quality control aspect to all support and deployment issues for bespoke applications Duties and Responsibilities:
Skills and Experience:
- Provide technical guidance and support to your colleagues ensuring DB products are resolved, designed, developed and tested according to established best practice principles
- Work with a team of Database developers to ensure projects are delivered in a timely fashion
- Monitor system's health and performance
- Ensure high levels of performance, availability, sustainability and security
- Analyse, solve, and correct issues in real time
- Ensure reviews are conducted on a regular basis to improve / enhance the database, and that the improvements are consistent with the departmental guidelines (working closely with other members of the DB team). Where no formal guidelines exist, work with peers to formulate and enforce such guidelines
- Triage assigned support incidents. Ensure that work on defect resolution does not impact on agreed product deliverables
- Database Troubleshooting and Maintenance
- Maintain data integrity and security (manage roles and permissions of database users)
- Generate traces, execution plans, identify performance issues, deadlocks/contention and resolve them
- Keep abreast of technology trends and how they apply to your area. Put forward suggestions for improvement to processes or tools where applicable
- Develop a level of product expertise across the solution architecture
- BSC or equivalent in a software engineering / DB discipline and / or Professional qualifications appropriate to DB engineering roles.
- Experience of large transactional databases (100GB+)
- Excellent knowledge of the SQL Database Engine
- Excellent performance tuning skills (experience of Query Tuning, Indexing, Locking etc).
- Excellent communication skills - both to a technical and non-technical audience.
- Experience in engaging at a commercial level with customers both technical and nontechnical.
- Experience of database release / upgrades with product releases
- Extensive experience of working with Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008/2012/2014
- Strong T-SQL Experience (creating / administrating stored procedures, scripts, functions, triggers and other objects)
- Experience in the manipulation, transformation, and exploration of large multi-dimensional datasets.
- Experience in database installation, backup, restore and maintenance
- Data Warehouse development, ETL and transformation into conformed design
- Knowledge of SSIS packages
- Excellent experience and knowledge of the Microsoft stack
- Understanding of relational database design & dimensional Data-modelling
- Some experience of using Visual Studio
- Knowledge of C# and .Net framework desirable
- Knowledge of NOSQL / Document DBs advantageous
- Knowledge of SSRS reports advantageous but not essential
- Knowledge of 3rd party toolkits e.g. RedGate desirable
- Experience of Source Control (BitBucket/Kiln/Mercurial)
- Strong SQL Skills (SQL server 2012/2016, T-SQL) and development skills in T-SQL, writing scripts, Log Shipping, producing reports (SSRS), performance tuning, automated back-ups, security
- Understanding of formal DB development and administration methodologies.
- Cloud Services (Azure) experience would be advantageous but not essential.
- Any experience with Bespoke Software Solutions, ITIL, Agile and ISO 27001 will be advantageous but not necessary.
- Domain or Product expertise in IT Healthcare would be advantageous but not essential.
Wilde Associates are working in the capacity of an Employment Agency for this role