Our client are currently recruiting for the exciting opportunity of Mechanical Engineer; this position will be based in Bristol. They are looking for someone with at least 5-7 years' experience within the industry. The work they do is multi-disciplined, coordinating various technical resources and functions. Problems may be complex, and solutions will require creativity within the conflicting parameters of the specifications, budget, and schedule. Domestic and possible overseas travel may be required. Mechanical Engineer Duties
They are looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer to join the team based in Bristol.
The purpose is the role is to provide Mechanical Engineering expertise into the company's Equipment Engineering team delivering major Marine defence contracts.
With that in mind, to undertake Mechanical design activities and work closely and build relationships with our internal engineering and sub-contractor design teams in generating mechanical and environmental requirements, developing robust product designs and defining and managing cost effective test strategies throughout the equipment development & manufacturing lifecycle.
It is anticipated that you will have 5-7 years minimum experience in a mechanical engineering design environment, preferably in the Marine defence Industry. Relevant experience in other industries will also be acceptable.
Our client provides a personal development programme that will grow capability, both individually and within the technical product /process.
Mechanical Engineer Requirements
- To provide a key mechanical technical focal point for all stages of the design lifecycle, from concept definition and system/equipment development, through first article and formal qualification, to manufacture and customer acceptance.
- Review customer requirements and standards applicable to a warship to decompose and derive equipment specifications to which equipment will be designed and accepted, balancing cost and risk against capability and customer requirement.
- Assist in the development of engineering plans; statements of work; technical assessment of client requirements; and the technical evaluation of supplier bids and correspondence.
- Develop mechanical/structural designs and take ownership of the design artefacts including, including 3D models, mechanical drawings, BOMs, etc..,
- Take ownership for the development of environmental/shock qualification plans and strategies in support of equipment/system development and formal acceptance, specifying test levels, EUT configurations, instrumentation, to meet the contracted standards.
- Review design artifacts produced by design sub-contractor, providing an assessment of the robustness of the equipment design against all relevant mechanical requirements to verify/validate compliance and ensure good mechanical and environmental/shock design principles are being followed..
- Review FEA and CFD analysis reports produced by external suppliers, and undertake further calculations to validate results and provide evidence against the requirements..
- Develop and maintain ownership of design contract deliverable items including Environmental qualification and Shock analysis reports and supporting test evidence, to demonstrate that the equipment meets the relevant environmental requirements.
- Provide input into First Article and Production test specifications to ensure the correct design checking methods are being employed.
- Support the Project Manager and Technical Manager with review of change requests, and preparation of engineering impact assessments and proposals.
- To provide technical expertise into the development of the wider company mechanical design processes and environmental/shock test methodology, test facilities and instrumentation/tools.
If you think that you will be suitable for this Mechanical Engineer role, please apply now!
- HNC/HND in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- 5-7 years minimum experience in a mechanical engineering design environment.
- Good planning, communications, writing, organisational and co-ordination skills.
- Experience in specification and design of equipment cabinets, control panels, and sub-assembles.
- Expertise covering areas such as; environmental requirement definition and management, data analysis, simulation and modelling, and testing (climatic, mechanical (shock and vibration), structural and fatigue).
- Inventor 3D Modelling/AutoCAD.
- Familiarity of mechanical and environmental/shock design principles and requirements for Military / Marine installations.
- Knowledge of marine or industrial control applications and defence projects.
- Good understanding of structured design, quality, test and acceptance processes & standards relative to the Military / Marine Installations.
- Knowledge of environmental standards and certification, CE, Lloyds Rules, statutory regulations, military specs (e.g. DEF STAN 08-123).
- Excellent PC skills (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Project, Visio, DOORS, C&I databases /tools).