Software Systems ManagerBridgend, South WalesSalary: Competitive plus benefitsFull-time, permanentThe Company:
They are an innovative and successful privately owned SME that designs and manufactures hi-tech capital equipment for worldwide export with a head office in the UK and two overseas offices. A vacancy has arisen for a Software Systems Manager to manage the design, development and maintenance of existing and future software projects including writing of all documentation relating to these software projects and providing advice and guidance on future development needs.Principal Accountabilities:
Education / Qualifications and Experience:
- To manage the software systems and controls team to ensure the company is adequately resourced to meets its needs and to support project development and product support needs and defined tasks and goals as required.
- Managing technical risk at an appropriate level by ensuring adequate in house back up of key individual's knowledge and that the company maintains and adequate knowledge and understanding of work undertaken by external suppliers.
- Carry out analysis of software requirements according to product definition and specific customer needs as required.
- Take responsibility for the software planning and delivery of fully documented software / controls solutions for all development projects, to include:
- Ensuring timely generation of the required system specifications including design, system interfaces and product definition.
- Design and generation of software code to meet specified design requirements using the software language(s) most appropriate to the system.
- Prepare module descriptions, test plans and procedures and other software documentation as required, verifying that the software product is in accordance with the specified requirements.
- Prepare all necessary design review documentation and distribute to company personnel as appropriate for discussion.
- Liaise with end users and other relevant contractors and sub-contractors in order to ensure compliance with system requirements.
- Coordinate the release of software versions on existing products ensuring the changes are fully tested, documented and all key personnel notified.
- Participate in investigations into system problems which may arise at any stage from design, coding and testing through to acceptance and on-going use of the products.
- Propose, define and implement solutions to problems including bug-fixing and system modification and/or enhancement so as to prevent as far as possible recurrence of problems.
- Ensure the adequate and timely training of personnel with the software development group.
- Maintain own technical knowledge and understanding of the product range particularly the software control systems at any acceptably high and current level.
- Ensure that the standard operating procedures are being adopted by members of the software group.
- Work as part of the product development and production teams to provide software design and development input.
- Define the standard company policy with regard to preferred development language and operating systems.
The job holder will have full managerial responsibility for the Software Systems team and overall technical responsibility for all aspects of the software relating to company products and projects. The successful candidate will be educated to HND / Degree level preferably in Computer Science or Mathematics and have a solid background in software development and experience of managing teams. You will be proficient in C# (preferably UWP) and VB.Net and have experience of, or an interest in, machine control software and hardware interaction. Some experience in C, PIC microprocessors or PLC's is desirable but not essential.Personal Qualities:
- Capable of clear thinking and informed decision-making to manage team working on various platforms, technologies and projects and meet cost, quality and timescale constraints.
- Self-motivated and disciplined with a strong technical awareness to progress tasks and facilitate a smooth and timely release of software in accordance with business objectives.
- Ability to engage with internal and external stakeholders at all levels, establishing strong relationships and providing clear direction to influence and effect change.