What will you be doing?
• Ensure provision of authoritative technical accounting support to a number of businesses in the Barclays Group covering day-to-day query flow, New Product Approvals, etc.
• Build deep and effective working relationships across the business, with the resilience to see issues through to completion, working with other functions as needed
• Pro-active checking regarding implementation, identifying and escalating material gaps
• Track proposed rule changes and liaise with impacted businesses and functions to shape meaningful advocacy, interpretation and implementation planning for the firm
• Ensure the accounting group standards on the allocated subject matters are up to date for all published standard requirements and policy interpretations
• Provide oversight of technical accounting compliance for Barclays external reporting under quarterly timetable and other ad-hoc reporting
• Engage with Barclays auditors, as well as accounting firms and peers to ensure we present financial statements which are useful to the reader
What we're looking for:
• Qualified accountant, part qualified or working towards this qualification
• Advocacy experience e.g. representing a bank or similar in industry forum or responding to an accounting standard change
• Excellent analytical skills and capability for self-directed research and work, which is required in order to resolve technical accounting matters
• Good control awareness, including knowledge of the key controls required in a bank, with a keen appreciation of reputational risk factors
Skills that will help you in the role:
• Demonstrate a good knowledge of banking products and relevant technical accounting concepts
• Good communication skills (verbal and written) which is necessary to ensure that technical requirements are understood by clients and other stakeholders
• Excellent interpersonal, influencing and team working skills, with the capability to build and sustain effective working relationships
• Ability to work in a pressured environment and cope with the demands of making material recommendations
Where will you be working?
In the heart of Canary Wharf, our headquarters at Churchill Place boasts onsite amenities such as; a gym, staff restaurant and deli bar, and is easily accessible by tube and bus links. With a population of around 5000 staff the atmosphere is second to none with a real buzz being created around the offices within.