Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly's edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers' applications as close to their end-users as possible - at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly's customers include many of the world's most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
Were building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.Senior Manager, Technical Operations
Fastly runs a complex platform that serves a significant portion of content delivered to internet consumers across the planet, with customers ranging from online media streaming services, to e-commerce, to open source projects, nonprofits and more. The TechOps team takes this responsibility seriously, and we continue to scale up our talented team in support of our mission. We seek leaders that are eager to demonstrate ownership over an expansive network, fleet, and growing customer base, acting as part of a global operations leadership group.
As Technical Operations Manager, you will use your network and/or systems background to lead a globally distributed team of engineers that connect intimately with key strategic customers, while also providing the first and second lines of operational defense for Fastly's powerful edge platform. With a customer-centric orientation you'll be working closely and collaboratively across the entire business to provide seamless and reliable advancements and ongoing operation of the Fastly network. In partnership with other global TechOps managers, you will deliver high network availability and performance through improved processes, tooling, and staff development that results in reduced risk, reduced MTTx, and incredible customer experiences.What Youll Do
What Were Looking For
- Lead a customer-oriented first and second line team that operates and maintains a fast-growing, global fleet of Linux-based machines, and the network elements that connect them.
- Recruit, mentor, and develop a trusted team of network, system, and operations engineers.
- Develop, report, and maintain metrics related to team and platform performance.
- Seek opportunities to pull established processes, responsibilities, and capabilities into our front-line operations engineering teams.
- Implement standards, procedures, and controls to ensure repeatability, scalability, security, performance, and reliability.
- Act as a leadership partner for major customer events or network incidents requiring high levels of coordination across many teams.
- Partner with fellow TechOps leaders at the front-line of the edge, responding to adverse conditions that affect service availability, 24x7.
- Manage an on-call and escalation rotation for members of your highly-skilled team responsible for "keeping the lights on", pitching in where required.
- Interface directly with internal stakeholders and strategic external customers.
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. It would be an added bonus if you have experience in ANY of these:
- 5-7 years experience crafting, building, and/or operating big distributed networks and systems. You very well may consider yourself a "generalist".
- 1-3 years of leading an operationally-focused engineering team - you enjoy tactical operations, improving the future of operations, and advancing your team's skills.
- Strong networking and/or systems knowledge with an understanding of TCP/IP and other web-related protocols.
- High standard of delivering quality support to internal/external customers.
- Demonstrable comprehension of global internet routing, with knowledge of the intricacies of BGP anycast behaviors and pitfalls.
- Sound understanding of how CDNs work and their position in the global Internet. You understand connection traversal, including DNS and TLS.
- Familiarity with software automation and orchestration workflow tools such as Git, Chef, Ansible, StackStorm or comparable.
- While it might not be your current day-to-day, you have a history of scripting abilities in a common language such as BASH, Python, etc.
- Experience in system observability, alerting, and telemetry tools, such as Prometheus, Catchpoint, Grafana, rsyslog, etc.
- A desire to have a direct impact on making the internet a better place for everyone.
- Capable of not only leading, but developing a remote team across multiple time zones.
- Exceptionally curious, continuously motivated by the need to understand why a technical or non-technical problem exists, coupled with the persistence to eliminate it.
- Highly organized and proactive, taking initiative and ownership independently, possessing ability to lead up, down, and across.
- Compassionate, kind, and encouraging of your direct team, and internal partners across the business, acting as a natural and trusted leader.
- A growth attitude, continually improving your knowledge, skills, and abilities, keeping current with industry trends, protocol standards, etc.
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- Highly collaborative. Breaking down walls and barriers is a strong-suit of yours.
- You love documentation, recognizing how information gets shared and distributed for a team that spans the globe.
- A history of professionalism, acting in a customer service capacity both internally and externally.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly's home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we're not 'one size fits all'. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We're always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!