American Express' Internal Audit Group (IAG) is a worldwide function with 200 team members and offices across nine countries. We are committed to growing our audit staff to approximately 250 members as we continue to expand and improve the Internal Audit Group. Our assurance and risk professionals have a diverse set of backgrounds including internal controls, consumer compliance, technology, operational risk, financial accounting, data analytics, and banking operations. Over 75 percent of IAG team members hold at least one professional certification. Our 15 audit teams align to key risk areas and business units to ensure IAG can provide comprehensive and risk-based audit coverage. In addition, IAG has a Professional Practices group responsible for managing audit operations, quality and standards; regulatory relations; reporting; training and professional development; and key internal capabilities and technologies.
IAG has reinvented our audit process and is leading the financial services industry with our Audit NextGen, Data-Driven Continuous Auditing, and Auditor of the Future initiatives. Each uniquely supports our aspiration to be a world class internal audit function that:
- Provides data-driven and technology-enabled assurance
- Delivers timely risk insights that are business-aware and forward-looking
- Supports our colleagues with experiences that prepare them to be enterprise leaders
Collectively, IAG's strategic initiatives, combined with our greatest asset - our people - enable IAG to utilize sophisticated data analysis capabilities, provide greater and continuous assurance, and help ensure quality products and services are provided to American Express customers.
Why American Express?
There's a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people's lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We've also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they're ready to take on a new career path, we're right there with them, giving them the mentorship and momentum into the best future they envision.
Vice President - Professional Practices The Vice President, Professional Practice leads a diverse 10 person team that has global reach and is responsible for overseeing the annual audit plan, audit policies and procedures, audit operational risk and control management, audit systems, training and management reporting for all of IAG.
This position plays a meaningful role with IAG's mission and winning aspiration to be a world class audit function. This role interacts with the IAG leadership team and all audit teams to ensure audit methodology and activities are aligned with regulatory requirements and leading internal audit practices.
- Oversee the annual audit planning process including maintenance of the audit universe, risk assessment process, preparation and change management of the annual audit plan for the Parent Company and Subsidiary Banks.
- Manage IAG's overall audit methodology, policies and procedures
- Lead the operation and maintenance of IAG's audit systems including the system strategy and development in partnership with Technology
- Management of the end-to-end lifecycle of IAG's training program, from structured identification of learning objectives through design, preparation, and delivery of training activities
- Lead IAG's management reporting activities and products including reporting for ongoing operational audit activities, key performance indicators and key risk indicators
- Lead of operational process, risk and control management for audit activities
- Assist with external benchmarking activities and maintain awareness of current, outstanding internal audit practices
- Effectively teach, mentor, and develop team members, as appropriate
- Ten or more years of internal audit experience in public accounting, finance and/or internal audit in Financial Services/Banking industry
- College degree in Accounting, Finance or advanced degree in Accounting, or related field is preferred
- Professional Certification (CIA, CISA, CPA or equivalent)
- Outstanding understanding and appreciation of regulatory, professional standards and best practices related to internal audit
- Aptitude for working with data, interpreting results, business intelligence and analytic processes
- Experience with Audit System development including agile process experience
- Strong training/instructional designing and delivery experience with demonstrated solid understanding of various design and delivery techniques and approaches
- Proficiency and experience in the application of control theory and professional auditing practices including technology control testing
- Validated ability to lead team members in a way that encourages, develops, and delivers results
- Effectively works within a team and across teams in a fast-paced environment to drive business results, utilizing related project management skills, employing creative thinking, and the ability to work on challenging priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 10% of time
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.