Data Protection Manager
Division: Group Legal and Governance
Location: London but initially remote working
Competitive salary plus benefits Despite the current circumstances we are still actively recruiting for roles. In compliance with UK Government advice relating to COVID-19 this role will be remotely based in line with our current workforce and we will supply you with the tools and technologies to enable you to do so. Similarly all interviews will be conducted by google hangouts or equivalent video conferencing technologies. About Which?
Which? is the UK's consumer champion, here to make life simpler, fairer and safer for everyone. As an organisation we're not for profit and all for making consumers more powerful. As people we're brave, caring, rigorous and insightful in the way we connect with each other to make change happen. About our Group Legal and Governance function
Which? is a complex organisation with a high public profile. Our Group Legal and Governance function is made up of trusted expert advisers - across general commercial, digital, financial services, libel, litigation, data privacy, risk management, internal audit and corporate governance - along with external law and audit firms, barristers, experts and regulators - who help the organisation make great decisions and drive positive change for consumers, while also protecting the organisation's reputation and ensuring compliance in the way Which? champions consumers.About the role
The primary purpose of this role is to re-establish our Data Compliance Office as an effective and helpful second line function to support our organisation in making decisions that are right for Which? and for consumers and consistent with data privacy obligations. You will also use your expertise by monitoring compliance with data protection and privacy law and regulation.
In addition, you will manage and develop a small team of data protection specialistsResponsibilities include:
- Raising the profile of Data Protection within Which? and articulate a compelling vision for data privacy management at Which?
- Promoting a positive risk and compliance-aware culture in everything Which? does
- Empowering colleagues across Which? to take responsibility for data protection in all that they do, ensuring that the Leadership Team and staff understand their obligations on compliance with GDPR, Data Protection and other relevant legislation and regulation
- Managing and developing the Data Compliance Office so that the team are recognised as a centre of technical excellence, making the complex simple and delivering joined up data privacy advice, support and challenge across the organisation
- Advising, supporting and challenging the business including the Leadership Team in relation to data protection matters, holding the business to account on its data protection responsibilities. Where areas of non-compliance with the Data Protection Act 2018, GDPR and associated privacy laws and regulations are identified, provide advice and support to the business in addressing and mitigating these areas.
- Reporting at regular intervals to relevant oversight groups on Which?'s compliance position with data protection law and regulation, i.e. the Data Privacy Group (DPG), Leadership Team (LT) and the Group Audit & Risk Committee (GARC)
- Keeping up to date with good / best practice, future regulatory developments, build your network and profile and share learnings within the team and the wider organisation
To find out more about this role please see the attached role profile.About you
You will be passionate about data protection and privacy culture and will have a background in data protection. You'll relish the opportunity to raise the profile of data protection in our organisation whilst continuously looking for improvements and a better way.
You'll be a confident storyteller, articulating the bigger picture and confident in handling and leading other through change. You'll enjoy managing and developing your own team ensuring they deliver against their objectives.
This is a high-profile role and you'll develop strong working relationships with senior stakeholders including our leadership team and you won't be afraid to challenge, influence and hold others to account
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the team as we go through a period of change and we have huge aspirations for our data protection team and this role is instrumental in our ambitions.About the rewards
In addition to a competitive salary we offer a generous 28 days holiday, life assurance and a fantastic pension scheme where we contribute 11% after just one year of service. When we're back in our London office you'll find it modern, relaxed and friendly (including a subsidised canteen, great facilities for cyclists and lunchtime runners, and a roof terrace to enjoy your lunch on.About the Which? way of life
We want you to do great work and enjoy it in a workplace that respects and empowers you. In 2019 we were a runner up in the medium-sized organisation category for Britain's Healthiest Workplace, and we signed up to the Time to Change employer pledge that protects staff against mental health discrimination. We're also a Stonewall accredited employer.
Click here to find out what we feel reflects what we do and how we work and to view our Which? LinkedIn page. About COVID-19
In line with current UK Government advice, we're likely to interview you using video conferencing technology like Google Hangouts or similar. If we hire you we'll supply you with the tools and technologies to work remotely until it's safe for you to come to work in the office.
At Which? we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We want to receive applications from all regardless of age, gender identity, disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief, race or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, social economic background etc. We believe that a diverse workforce helps us to understand and create a positive impact for consumers. We want to ensure that everybody can apply and be part of our recruitment processes, and therefore when required we make reasonable adjustments to accommodate our candidates. We're committed to making sure our application process is accessible to everyone who would like to apply for any of our vacancies! Please reach out to email@example.com if you need us to provide an alternative application method to support your accessibility needs.