A little bit about us:
East West Rail is a new direct connection, linking communities between Oxford and Cambridge, including Bicester, Milton Keynes and Bedford by rail.
Oxford, Cambridge and the communities in between are renowned for their vibrant economy, educational excellence and scientific innovation. They deliver growth and prosperity both locally and for the whole country; connecting these two cities and the communities in between is crucial to the social and economic future of the region.
East West Railway Company was set up to accelerate the delivery of the East West Rail infrastructure and passenger services, bringing faster journey times and easing pressure on local roads.
We were set up by the Secretary of State for Transport in 2017 to do things differently. We aim to innovate, positively disrupt, and challenge the status-quo, leading to quicker and more cost-effective project delivery, and an improved experience for passengers and the communities we serve.
As we build our team, we're looking for people with the right skills and mindset so that we can innovate, positively disrupt and set new industry standards. Whether you've been working on some of the world's most exciting rail and infrastructure projects or can inspire us with your ideas and expertise from other sectors, we want to hear from you. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- This is a key role in ensuring that EWR Co successfully engages members of the public and key stakeholders such elected officials and community groups.
- You will ensure that the quality of work remains high and that an emphasis is put on effective and compelling communication
- You will ensure that accurate, engaging, accessible and legally compliant responses are sent to all correspondents, including those utisilising their rights under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations, meeting agreed KPIs for this work.
- You will also be responsible for managing a small external team of correspondence agents, and will be expected to manage the budget for this team and the supporting services including Royal Mail and external phone lines.
- You will work closely with EWR Co's stakeholder managers, media lead, subject matter experts, and legal counsel, to draft responses, offering advice and direction to the business on the most appropriate approach.
- You will be accountable for the content of EWR Co's CRM system, ensuring the data remains up to date, clean and easy to both understand and report from
- You will be responsible for weekly and monthly reporting against the KPIs, on volume, tone and topic of correspondence
Experience and skills
- You will be reporting to the Head of External Affairs and be a part of the wider External Communications team
- Given the early stage of the project, it is likely that the nature of the role may evolve as the project progresses. It is also possible that other ad-hoc activities and duties may be required.
What we offer:
- Experience of working with information rights requests and a sound knowledge of information rights legislation (FOIA, EIR and GDPR) is essential - though note this role will have support of both internal and external legal counsel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills will be vital in this role, along with the ability to distil complex material into key messages for different audiences.
- Have demonstrable and significant experience using a large-scale CRM system
- You should already be accustomed to managing and prioritising your work in response to competing demands and you should be able to foster positive relationships with colleagues across the organisation.
- Experience of working with a diverse range of stakeholders and insight into how we should be responding through community engagement activity
- Exposure of managing budgets and operating within financial constraints
- Able to work unsupervised, and to use initiative
- To be discreet and able to maintain confidentiality
- Given the nature of our business and our work, experience writing for elected representatives and/or Government is desirable
- Competitive base salary
- Up to 20% bonus based on individual and company performance
- Up to 12% employer's pension contribution
- 36 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) + up to 2 days to buy
- Life assurance
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Perks platform with hundreds of discounts and freebies
- On-the-spot and annual awards
- Advanced learning and development programmes
- Great work-life balance and flexible working opportunities
- Enhanced family-friendly policies
- Exceptional IT tools