Exciting opportunity to join Syneos Health as Director of Clinical Operations for our team of General Medicine, based in Germany or Austria. Experience in managing a team in these countries is essential. JOB SUMMARY
Manages and provides leadership to Clinical Operations Staff, including the supervision of more senior level clinical operations management positions in the assigned Business Unit and region. Analyzes resourcing capacity and ensures a consistent quality of services and balanced work team. Assures clinical operations delivery, manages escalated project and site related matters to drive follow-up action plans and improve departmental procedures. Liaise with other departments and business units to establish harmonized clinical operations practices, processes and tools. Participates in the financial review of project status and drives project financial performance, particularly as related to clinical operations services. The Director of Clinical operations will need to manage issues, making staff and resourcing decisions. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Line management of Clinical Operations staff, responsibilities including professional development, performance appraisals, and employee counseling for junior and management staff. Manages staff by establishing goals that will increase knowledge and skill levels, and by delegating tasks commensurate with skill level. Manage senior level professional staff.
• Liaise with Resourcing management on active awarded and proposal project assignments, supporting the creation of client-specific resourcing strategies. Review workload for all country staff. Manage resource availability for the assigned country(-ies) or region(s), ensuring projects are suitably resourced and staffing needs are identified in a timely fashion, resolving potential resourcing conflicts to facilitate mutually beneficial resolutions.
• Supports the development of the regional staff plan, identifying needs to hire new staff in a timely fashion and oversee the talent acquisition process in the assigned country. Proactively works to ensure staff retention and turnover rates remain within expected levels.
• Manage and control the financial performance in the assigned country(-ies) or region(s) within the assigned Business Unit, ensuring that departmental targets are met for utilization, gross profit, revenue realization and cost control (including contractor use and staff overheads).
• Provide expert operations oversight and guidance. Sets priorities and schedule activities of departmental resources, implement company objectives, and create alternative solutions to address business and operational challenges.
• Ensures quality and adherence to Standard Operating Procedures/Work Instructions (SOP/WI) and compliance with federal and local guidelines and ICH/GCP. Ensures individual and team tasks are completed according to country specific and government regulations. Ensures all staff follow required training and completes the required documentation.
• Maintains awareness of project resourcing issues, hours and overall workloads. Ensures that project clinical operations goals are met within appropriate timelines. Provides regular updates to the assigned Business Unit Leadership accordingly.
• Works closely with other departments to ensure quality performance on all studies as well as to correct process deficiencies as identified by staff, clients, and auditors. Assist in the resolution of any project-related issues/findings associated with the performance of Clinical Operations staff in the assigned Business Unit at country and regional level. Participates in committees and work groups to support the development of corporate best practices and processes.
• Provide support to Business Development to facilitate new project awards during the Bid Defense process, providing expert Clinical Operations guidance where required. May participate in marketing activities, client presentations and proposal development.
- Bachelor's degee in life sciences, nursing degree, or equivalent related experience, plus extensive clinical research experience in a contract research organization, pharmaceutical or Biotechnology Company, including some time in a leadership capacity or equivalent combination of education, training and experience is required.
- Problem solving skills, proactive, decision marking skills
- PM or OPS background
- Demonstrated strong leadership, tactical and strategic thinking skills. Ability to anticipate and address critical issues; and develop contingency plans in a proactive manner. Knowledge of financial concepts as related to forecasting, budgeting, and proposal generation.
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct tasks and set direction and priorities for others to achieve departmental goals
- Strong time management, technical, and organizational skills
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), email, and voicemail. Ability to gain working knowledge in other applicable business tools and systems
- Requires above average attention to detail, accuracy, and organizational, interpersonal, and team-oriented skills. This includes excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and spoken, with an ability to inform, influence, convince, and persuade.
- Ability to travel as necessary (approximately 20%)
Tasks, duties, and responsibilities as listed in this job description are not exhaustive. The Company, at its sole discretion and with no prior notice, may assign other tasks, duties, and job responsibilities. Equivalent experience, skills, and/or education will also be considered so qualifications of incumbents may differ from those listed in the Job Description. The Company, at its sole discretion, will determine what constitutes as equivalent to the qualifications described above. Further, nothing contained herein should be construed to create an employment contract. Occasionally, required skills/experiences for jobs are expressed in brief terms. Any language contained herein is intended to fully comply with all obligations imposed by the legislation of each country in which it operates, including the implementation of the EU Equality Directive, in relation to the recruitment and employment of its employees.