Rapiscan Systems is an industry leader in detection technology, providing cargo and vehicle inspection systems and services for ports, borders, military, high-threat facilities, and checkpoints to help customers combat terrorism, drug smuggling, illegal immigration, and trade fraud. We offer a broad array of scanning system configurations that leverage low-, medium-, and high-energy X-ray technology-or multiple X-ray technologies-to address each customer's unique security application requirements. Our commitment to excellence in imaging performance, innovative design, and uncompromising quality ensures our solutions consistently deliver best-in-class imaging, high reliability, and operator satisfaction, to help customers find threats and contraband with ease and confidence. Role Overview
The Manufacturing Engineer will play a key role in the continued improvement and introduction of large x-ray equipment. S/he will support, develop and design manufacturing processes, flows, tooling, and fixtures in order to meet daily production schedules while enhancing productivity and product quality.
Candidate Experience Requirements
- Leading the development and improvement of manufacturing processes using LEAN principles.
- Leads the transfer of processes, process improvements, and products from development to production ensuring they are efficient and effective.
- Troubleshoots technical issues to root cause in production or in returned product in conjunction with manufacturing and quality staff.
- Communicate issues clearly (both written and verbally) in a timely manner.
- Trends and Analyse shop floor efficiency, performance and quality data and generate quantifiable improvements. Creates and maintains manufacturing methods
- Author's technical reports supporting development transfers, production problems, and process analysis/trending.
- Evaluate existing manufacturing processes and workflows identifying weaknesses with existing methods and implementing change and improvements establishing an effective and efficient work sequence.
- Create processes and procedures to assist the business in meeting budgetary goals as well as performance objectives combined with driving efficiency improvements.
- Provide build documentation and training for production staff (SOP, CWI's).
- Involved with creation of line balancing, quality control plans.
- Liaise with R&D reporting issues from production builds and assist in design and development of new products, product mock-ups alongside the R&D team.
- Using your experience to act as a "voice of manufacturing" to Design Engineers, ensure DFM considerations are taken during NPI development.
- Updating of processes and documentation triggered by improvement requests or production issues.
- Lead design / manufacture / purchase of assembly tooling / jigs / fixtures etc.
- An exponent and champion of continuous improvement and the tools employed in such practices and possess a working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing Principles.
- Works without supervision in a technically intensive environment
Candidate Qualifications and Skill Set
- Extensive experience in a manufacturing engineering role
- Extensive experience of assembly processes. Preferably including UHV and high voltage systems within in a high Tech / low volume manufacturing environment
- Has the technical depth to use good judgment to make solid decisions in support of Business Unit's strategy.
- A clear understanding of design for manufacture at both a component and final assembly level.
- Ability to integrate well into an established team supporting and assisting colleagues
- Significant capability and experience in all modern problem-solving techniques
- Have a working knowledge of Agile, Navision, Minitab, Excel, Word, CAD and MS Project
- Degree or equivalent in an Engineering or Scientific discipline and suitable work experience
- Six Sigma Black or Green belt desirable.