Ultra have a need to rapidly grow its software engineering team size in order to meet the demands of existing and forthcoming projects focused on our Integrated Sonar System product line.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer with a strong and proven ability to design software components forming part of a large system that will meet defined functional and performance requirements. You will then subsequently lead the development of those components adhering to company procedures in order to deliver to an agreed cost, schedule and quality.
You will not be required to have any line management responsibilities but you will be expected to provide technical leadership to other software engineers allocated to work on your software component and be accountable for the entire software work package.
You will provide hands-on development experience and contribute with a broad range of software disciplines from design, coding, testing, integration, build systems and configuration management to the software focused Work Packages that you are responsible for.
You shall be confident in estimating and planning software developments with an appreciation of Agile methodologies applied in a technically rigorous environment for projects with defined costs, schedules and intermediate payment milestones.
Key Responsibilities as a Principal Software Engineer
- Software component level design
- Producing initial estimates for software components
- Hands on contributions to Software detailed design, implementation and test activities
- Supporting the integration and verification of software components into a larger system
- Supporting the Project Manager and Project Engineering Lead in the definition of software Work Packages and Statements of Work for outsourced Work Packages
- Providing periodic (normally monthly) status updates on software work packages, including work Spend To Date, Estimates To Complete, Estimated Completion Dates and any key risks or issues
- Supporting your Software Team Lead in the day to day running of the Software Function by efficient completion of weekly administrative tasks, understanding and following company procedures and promoting an agile, innovative and sharing culture.
Skills, Qualification and Experience as a Principal Software Engineer
- Breadth of exposure to a significant subset of the following types of software technologies:
- High Level languages, C++, Java
- Parallel Multithreaded Processing
- RTI Data Distribution System
- Formal Software Design Methodology, (UML, OOA, OOD, Enterprise Architect)
- An awareness of Unit Test frameworks and implementation of (automated) unit testing.
- GIT, Jenkins, Jira
- An understanding of Signal Processing, DSP
- An understanding of DevOps
- Experience of leading software engineering teams to deliver into complex systems as part of fixed price contracts.
- Experience across the whole project lifecycle applying an appropriate balance between agile and V model approaches.
- Autonomy in making day to day decisions regarding cost, schedule, efficiency, and quality of engineering project activities.
- Degree level (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CEng) or demonstrable equivalent experience.
- Experience in the defence domain and a working knowledge of sonar systems desirable.
- Good team player, with a proactive, collaborative approach and an ability to motivate others.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise, define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to work as part of a geographically dispersed larger team
- Good time management and ability to switch efficiently from one task to another.
- Stable performer under pressure.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to express ideas, share technical information and communicate at all levels and across different cultures.
- Able to effectively deal with conflict in technical decision making
- Willingness to occasionally travel to other Ultra sites in the UK
Applicants will be required to meet SC Level clearance
How to Apply
If you believe you have the skills and experience required to join our team then please click apply and upload your CV now.
Here at Ultra we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusivity. Underpinned by our values, behaviours and policies, we want you to feel empowered to be the best version of yourself. We also believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures will increase our diversity of thinking, ensuring we continue to successfully deliver to our customers.
We therefore do not discriminate on the basis of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible.
Please note, once you have completed your application this will be reviewed by our Talent Acquisition team. On occasions we may close roles earlier than the advertised closing date based on the quality of applications received. We encourage you to submit your application as soon as you are ready to. We look forward to hearing from you shortly.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/92298399