Adecco are delighted to be working with a large manufacturer who are looking to recruit for a Composite Materials Engineer on a full time permanent basis.Job Purpose:
Primarily focused on all matters of composite moulding design and new material development. Supporting structural design, material selection, costing and draughting of Production mouldings from hand-lay, infusion (including infusion plans), pre-preg and RTM. A leading role in all new material development, testing and R&D for composite mouldings, adhesives and sealants. Supporting Production and Warranty on any moulding related issues. Time will be split between work in Design Office, Production facilities and research labs.Responsibilities:
- Undertaking numerous composite material trials to advance moulding capabilities. Comprehensive trial reports are essential as well as detailed cost analysis of materials and labour hours for each project.
- Leading role in seeking, then undertaking trials and testing of alternative materials to reduce material budgets and ensuring a smooth transition in to the moulding facilities. Detailed testing reports and budget analysis will be essential.
- Produce accurate moulding weight estimates, bill of materials and costing of all composite parts.
- To produce production drawings for mouldings, using either NX 3-D software or AutoCAD 2-D as required. Basic 3-D modelling skills will be developed to assist in this work.
- Produce clear repair specifications for Production and Warranty.
- Support the standardisation of all composite materials and laminating design details for the range.
- Research in to new technologies that could benefit the Business such as 3-D printing, in-mould artificial teak as well as "green" materials to reduce environmental impact or improve working conditions.
- Develop infusion strategies and lay-out drawings for all new mouldings and standardisation across the business. Supporting the role out of RTM for as many small mouldings as practical.
- Support the simplification and reduction of all build specifications related to Mouldings.
- Good communication with production is key and regular visits to the production sites are essential to ensure good practical understanding of boat moulding and construction. These visits should also be used to help optimise the structural lay-up and design to standardise for production but taking in to account overall weight and cost.
- To continually strive to develop personal skill, composite materials and knowledge in all aspects of marine design, to enable future advancement in both personal ability and future projects.
- Honours Degree in Composite Materials/Engineering or Naval Architecture.
- Composite boat manufacturing/moulding experience (desirable)
- Comprehensive knowledge of composite materials and their application.
- To undertake composite material trials in hand-lay, infusion, RTM and pre-preg.
- Ability to use 2-D and 3-D software would be an advantage.
- Salary - Competitive
- Poole, Dorset
- Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm
If this role is of interest contact your local Bournemouth Branch on .
Adecco are an equal opportunities employer
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explaining how we will use your information is available on our website.