A wholesale energy market specialist who operates across all energy commodities and manages assets along the entire value chain is looking for a Data Steward to join their Data Management Team.Team/ Department
The Data Management team is part of the Data Team which works very closely with the Front Office and is the centre of master data management, data quality and control and it has direct responsibility over the development and maintenance of the data assets.Position purpose
The Data Steward provides a vital link between the Front Office and the Operations and the Technology Team and works very closely with customers (mainly traders and analysts) to formulate their requirements and translate those into technical specifications ensuring high quality data is delivered to the final customers.
- The Data Steward is a subject matter expertise of specific data domains and understands the nature and complexity of the business concepts and its associated data sources.
- The Data Steward must have technical knowledge to manage and to facilitate various data processes in their remit such as data ingestion, data modelling, ETL, data quality implementation, API...
- The Data Steward must have good awareness of the broad Data Management strategy in order to facilitate adequate coordination with other Data Stewards and Data Custodians in their data domain.
Required Skills and Experience
- Definition and implementation of data quality controls to ensure data is delivered at required quality standards defined by the Data Owner. This involves analysis of the data to understand patterns, statistical profile and required checks.
- Perform actively and continuously data monitoring ensuring an efficient remediation process, communication to customers and issue escalation to relevant department.
- Proactive management of data quality issues, identifying root of cause of data related issues as well as providing and implementing solutions to prevent similar issues in the future
- Engage with the IT department to ensure an appropriate level of resources are available to ensure data is delivered to customers at appropriate and required latency and speed and data platforms are stable and robust
- Run day-to-day management of data i.e. ensure data definitions, descriptions, attributes, etc. (i.e. "metadata") are fully comprehensive, fit-for-purpose and up to date.
- Build a close relationship with traders and analysts in the Front Office, being able to identify Data Owners as well as formulating and transforming customer's analytical requirements into detailed technical requirements and documentation for the Data Operations team
- Build a close relationship with the Data Operations team ensuring documentation is properly understood, implemented correctly, properly saved and easily accessible and updated.
- Control and management of data access requests.
- Support Data Consumers on their data needs, providing advisory on the proper use of data.
- Support the implementation of data security and privacy controls.
- Classification and protection of the data based on the organisations policies and Data owner requirements.
- Support the analysis on change requests with possible impact on data domains and escalation to Data Owner when required.
- Participation in business forums to provide data advisory and conduct training sessions when needed
- Work proactively with the data community to better understand the data in the organisation.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Extensive knowledge of master data management, data governance, ETL processes, data analysis and data reporting
- Experience in data quality monitoring, ideally with event streams such as NiFi/Alteryx or similar
- Experience writing business requirements and specifications as well as testing methodologies
- Experience working with relational and non-relational database technologies
- Experience working with JIRA or other project management tools
- Experience in scripting languages such as Python or C#
- Exposure and understanding of big data technologies and messaging systems
- Good knowledge of data architecture and data modelling, as well as tools used to support these processes
- Interested and passionate about data, particularly understanding the source of data, its nomenclature with strong attention for detail and precision.
- Takes ownership of any issues that come up and facilitates their resolution quickly using own initiative while managing expectations.
- A thirst for the latest technologies and automation coupled with a curiosity to research and innovate on new approaches
- A flexible approach and a willingness to move between multiple tasks and take on more responsibilities
- Interest in energy trading and willingness to work across the business on understanding the needs of different teams
- Able to multitask, switch focus, prioritise own tasks and is comfortable working under pressure with the demands of the front office users
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Hours of work:
- Data Catalogue tools and implementation
- Knowledge of statistical software and packages such as R, Matlab, Pandas, NumPy or SciPy
- Previous experience working within energy trading or capital markets
- Experience with algorithmic trading systems and low-latency trading
- Knowledge of financial markets is desirable but experience of working in other "big data" or HPC environments is equally valid.
- Familiarity with modern web frameworks such as React, Angular or Vuejs
8.30am - 5.30pm / 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Some elements of WFH with requirement to travel to London office minimum twice a week.Salary
Up to £47,500