As the Senior Software Developer, you will have a pivotal role in leading the design and development of applications across multiple disciplines. You will recommend better design decisions, better engineering practices, develop quality code with minimal defects and pass on your experiences to junior team members. The role requires close cooperative working with other members across the Delivery function, as well as regular liaison with users, other departmental teams, external vendors, and the wider agency.
Role Guide for the Senior Software Developer includes:
* Work with teams, especially Tech Leads and Delivery Leads, to establish the most valuable enablers to pursue.
* Work within an Agile Scrum team to deliver projects and take ownership of activities such as Refinement, Sprint Planning, Estimates, Retrospectives, Demos and daily Scrums.
* Monitor progress on development projects at the backlog items level and assess progress against overarching project plans.
* Mentor developers to improve code quality by taking part in code reviews, design guidance and collaborative development.
* Review existing software for potential enhancements and contribute to the future planning of product support and improved application features by consulting with internal and external users.
The Senior Software Developer should have:
* Hands on team lead experience or demonstrate ability to lead others.
* Demonstrate previous experience or capability to mentor junior developers and help guide them to solve technical issues
* CI/CD and GitHub in an agile environment (GitHub Actions/Jenkins)
* Be comfortable working with vendors and stakeholders
* Be a creative self-starter, solution focused, able to demonstrate initiative and effectively deal with requirements ambiguity to develop pragmatic software solutions that realise business benefits.
In return, you can expect to work on high impact projects that play a key part in the health of the UK population, working witha modern IT stack and be rewarded with a competitive starting salary of £53,101 plus excellent benefits including:
* 25 days annual leave on entry, rising by one day for each completed year of service to a maximum of 30 days and pro-rata for part-time staff. PLUS 8 bank holidays and 1 day of Privilege Leave for the Queen's birthday
* Civil Service Pension Scheme
* Flexible working to ensure staff maintain a healthy work-life balance
* Interest free season ticket loan or bike loan
* Workplace Wellness Employee Assistance Services and access to the Civil Service Benevolent Fund
* Variety of staff and Civil Service clubs
* On-going learning and development
This is a fantastic time to join a UK Government health agency that has significant positive impact on public health, at a time of heightened interest, who are even more focused to deliver the best offerings in the interests of public health and are looking for the best talent to create exceptional products. Apply online or contact Andrew Medhurst at Inspire People on .
Inspire People is an employment agency working providing services to employers and individuals and working exclusively with this UK Government department.