Lloyd's is the world's leading insurance and reinsurance marketplace. Yet the world is changing, and Lloyd's is changing too - nimbler, faster, and able to offer customers and employees more products, services and insights supported by technology, innovation and the continuing desire to protect people, businesses and communities. Lloyd's is where Operations professionals can now bring their future to life.
Lloyd's Group Technology is running a Data Centre Strategy Programme throughout 2020 to Migrate all infrastructure and applications to the cloud and close their Global Data Centre estate. The main drivers for this programme are to reduce operational risk, reduce running costs, improve availability and enhance security
The role of the SQL DBA is based within Compute & Unified Communication technical team. Reporting to the Compute & Unified Communications Manager, this role requires working as required as a project resource within technical infrastructure projects delivered from Lloyd's strategic and tactical portfolio of work and remediating day to day operational issues. The role also delivers specialist technical consultancy to projects which are part of Lloyd's strategic and tactical portfolio of work.
Generic responsibilities and accountabilities for Private and Public Cloud technical environments:
- Maintain and support the Lloyd's SQL server estate, including SQL server 2008-2016 and Azure SQL hosting, both IaaS and PaaS.
- Secure, maintain and monitor all Lloyds SQL services.
- Support the Lloyds Azure SQL estate, including all maintenance and monitoring tasks, as well as working with projects to carry out any migration to Azure Tasks and any new system implementation in Azure.
- The day to day resolution of incidents or effecting approved changes covering items such as email, file and print servers, application servers, backups and storage management to meet SLAs.
- Acting as a resource on Lloyd's infrastructure projects.
- Supporting the day to day operations in the context of 'business as usual' (BAU).
- Provide technical direction and construct, test and implement a wide range of solutions that enable and support business functions.
- Secure and maintain Compute (Private and Public Cloud) based applications within the Windows Server, Active Directory, Microsoft Office, Exchange, Symantec NetBackup environment, SAN Infrastructure and other technologies as introduced within the department.
- Define scope, plans and deliverables for assigned work.
- Test solutions to ensure that both changes and new work meet the business needs and expectations.
- Monitor daily performance to identify server management problems using Lloyd's certified software tools.
- Investigate and resolve problems as required, specifically in relation to server management.
- Use appropriate tools to analyse, identify and resolve technical problems.
- Implement approved standard server solution, upgrades, enhancements and conversions.
- Maintain security, integrity and business resilience controls and documents.
- Gain knowledge on emerging tools, techniques and technologies.
- Producing good quality and timely documentation for all assigned tasks.
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge and understanding of infrastructure practices, operations, standards, and
- Effective communication skills.
- Deep technical knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server technologies (Private and Public Cloud).
- Experience of Operating in a Private and Public cloud technical environment.
- Previous experience implementing and supporting Windows Server based solutions, e.g. Active Directory Forests, High-Availability multi-tier server deployments.
- Must have previous technical experience of Windows Server 2008,2008\R2, 2012 & 2016. SQL 2019 an advantage.
- Proven experience of migrating SQL services to Azure, both IaaS and PaaS. Experience with Azure SQL Managed Instances and advantage.
- Proven experience of Maintaining and securing SQL services, both on Prem and in Azure. Knowledge of Ola Hallegren scripts and advantage.
- Proven experience of implementing and supporting an enterprise backup solution for the SQL stack. Knowledge of Azure backup and advantage.
- Experience of designing, implementing and supporting Virtualised environments e.g. VMware and Hyper-V and Azure IaaS.
- Must have proven troubleshooting and performance tuning skills.
- Automation skills, especially around automating SQL Builds and deployments. Experience of Powershell and Terraform an advantage.
- Experience of operating private and public cloud environments
- Powershell/Azure Cloud Shell.
- SQL Server 2005 - 2019 technologies.
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database and Managed Instance.
- Hosting on virtualisation technologies (i.e. Hyper-V, Azure IaaS and VMWare)
- Estate management - must have experience of managing a large SQL estate of several thousand databases
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/92251151