Why does this role exist?
We are looking for a Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer to join our busy IT function. This role will be part of a small, technical sub-team within IT Services that is responsible for the operation, maintenance, support, management, and continuous improvement of BRE's Data Centre, Network, Server and Storage infrastructure.
The team has a broad remit which includes physical & virtual servers, central data storage, network devices, security appliances, telephony, and conferencing & presentation services (voice and video), supporting approx. 550 staff and c. 180 VM's.
Additionally, BRE are undergoing some significant systems changes so the perfect candidate will have opportunity to get involved in a range of change programmes and improvement projects.
If you're a technical expert with a broad skillset and customer focus, we want to hear from you.Salary Range Up to £40,000City WatfordEmployment Type PermanentJob Family Professional Business ServicesJob Family Level 3Closing Date 21/04/2021Ref No 905 The value this role will add
How will success be measured?
- Ensure design & delivery of IT services to meet and where possible, exceed agreed SLAs.
- Ensure availability of Servers, Storage, LAN & WAN networks and other IT Infrastructure and Services.
- Deliver high-quality, reliable, available, and secure IT Infrastructure & Network Services that meet BRE's changing business needs.
- Use public cloud experience to help fast track the teams understanding, and migration activities.
- Use strong problem-solving skills to diagnose, isolate and resolve service incidents
- Maintain and support the physical, virtual and cloud servers and services, and network hardware & software configuration standards, monitor and report on capacity & utilisation.
- Help ensure Information Security best practices are followed and that delivery is compliant with internal and external audit requirements.
- Ensure appropriate documentation and policies are in place by actively participating in developing technical support processes and procedures for IT.
- Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives by providing technical knowledge on projects.
- Where required, to be available out of hours to limit the impact of incidents on critical business services.
What experience and skills does the role need?
- Timeliness and quality of delivering key projects and BAU activities.
- Enhanced documentation and quality of policies and processes.
- Ability to resolve complex technical issues with minimum impact and a focus on the end customer.
- Appropriate management of risks, changes and issues to maximise the performance of IT infrastructure and services and minimise impact on end users.
- Active participation and collaborative working with others in the team and with 3rd parties to ensure outputs are as required to the agreed specifications.
- Actively promotes best practice ways of working which are in line with compliance and governance requirements.
- Hands on experience in s similar sized corporate environment.
- Operating, supporting, maintaining, managing & securing on premise and public cloud corporate environments containing:
- Microsoft Windows Servers (2012, 2016 & 2019) and VMware (v6.5+) servers.
- Linux servers (Red Hat and CentOS) (this would be an advantage).
- Configuring & managing network devices across a large campus environment.
- Administrating Active Directory services, including DNS, DHCP and Group Policy.
- Monitoring infrastructure and network health, performance, utilisation, and capacity to help identify and resolve issues in a timely manner.
Knowledge of security best practices aligned to Cyber-Essentials PLUS, practical experience of managing environments to any of; ISO 27001, PCI-DSS or Gov.UK PSN CoCo would be an advantage.Demonstrable ability to write and maintain standards, policies, processes and documentation, including operating manuals, design documents and asset lists as well as documenting technical and service processes.Experience of working in a small team with a broad remit and proven ability to deliver technical projects.Knowledge of ITIL best practice methodology would be an advantage.Great to also have: (desirable skills & experience).
- Experience of using and writing PowerShell script.
- Experience of configuring Microsoft SQL and MySQL database management systems.
- Knowledge of Fortinet firewalls, FortiAnalyser, FortiWeb, FortiSIEM and FortiEMS (FortiClient) products.
- Knowledge of HPE / Aruba network switches and network configuration.
- IT related degree
This job description is a non-exhaustive summary of your role and is non-contractual. In addition to the above, you may be required to undertake additional duties in order to properly execute your role. This job description is subject to variation from time to time in order to meet the changing needs and requirements of our industry, as well as customer and business demands.
The experience requirements above are provided for guidance purposes, however we would welcome applications from candidates with more or less relevant experience who can demonstrate their suitability for the role.
Whilst this advert may state a specific location or hours, we encourage flexibility and are happy to have a conversation on how this role could be fulfilled in a different way.
Please also note that should we receive a large number of applications for the role, we may close the advert sooner than the specified closing date, so do apply at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/92247987