37 hours per week, Term Time, Permanent
Shrewsbury Colleges Group is a designated Sixth Form College offering Sixth Form College terms and conditions. The college works with (phone number removed) year olds, 800 apprentices, 3,500 adult students and 400 higher education students. The college delivers A Levels at two campuses in the town centre, English and Welsh Bridge Campuses, and vocational and technical professional qualifications at the London road campus.
To work closely with the Safeguarding Manager in order to put the safety of students first and develop students' sense of responsibility to themselves and others in the College community.
To support students with day to day safeguarding concerns and manage own caseload of Safeguarding cases, making referrals as necessary.
· Work closely with College staff to ensure everyone is aware of the correct advice and guidance to give to students regarding Safeguarding whilst they are at College or off-site, for example on a work placement.
· Supporting vulnerable students as issues arise, providing emotional support and guidance and making referrals/ signposting to support as necessary
· Provide in class support on anxiety and emotional health and wellbeing issues
· Work closely with Admissions staff during the application process to identify vulnerable learners who need extra care from the start of their course and liaise with outside agencies as necessary.
· Advise and liaise with relevant staff and outside agencies, attend reviews and care meetings regarding students with Child in Need Plans, Child Protection Plans and students who are Looked After (when requested by the Safeguarding Manager).
· Ensure the appropriate risk assessments and safety plans are in place and shared appropriately if required. Updated when necessary and refer to at all times.
· Understand the factors that make people vulnerable to being drawn into terrorism and challenge extremist ideas. Understand the requirements of the Prevent Duty.
· Ensure that all students know what the College's procedures for Safeguarding are by being part of a team that deliver safeguarding training to student groups in Induction.
· Work with Curriculum Leaders and Programme Leaders to ensure that they are updated with relevant and proportionate information about students with Safeguarding concerns. Update CLs/PLs on new initiatives, updated Moodle materials and Safeguarding procedures.
· Ensure issues with Looked After Young People (LAYP) are referred to the Safeguarding Manager
· Represent Looked After students and others with Safeguarding needs through the Conduct process, if required.
· Ensure that all Safeguarding records are stored safely and securely.
· Attend staff inductions to talk about safeguarding, and be part of a team delivering Safeguarding Refresher training to staff as required.
· Keep knowledge of current legislation up to date by reading and attending training, conferences and seminars as required. Follow SSP/ SSN protocols for information sharing and refer to Statutory Guidance and local Multi Agency Threshold documents.
· Work effectively with local agencies such as Compass to maintain good communication and multi-agency working.
· Refer students to and liaise with internal support such as Student Services.
· Shrewsbury Colleges Group actively promotes a 'safeguarding' culture. As such, employees are expected to carry out their role and responsibility in relation to student welfare. Employees are expected to access PREVENT and child protection training in accordance with their role and be aware of who to contact and what action to take if there are concerns regarding the welfare of all students. We are committed to ensuring that all employees are supported in respect to their safeguarding duties.
· Lead on the college approach to supporting Young Carers across all campuses. This will include working to identify Young Carers, monitoring progress and working with external agencies to support them effectively.
· Work flexibly, undertake training and development, and undertake such other tasks as may be required or directed from time to time to meet the needs of the Group
· Support and promote the Group's equal opportunity, diversity, health and safety, Prevent and other policies, processes and objectives
· Work positively to suggest and deliver quality improvements for your area. Engage with all quality improvements agreed for implementation from both internal and external sources.
· Attend appropriate training and be a part of the college's first aid rota.
· **Participate in exam invigilation as and when required**
· Train the trainer delivery
· Awareness of the needs of looked after young people
· Training in self harm prevention and suicide awareness
· Knowledge of Equality and Diversity legislation
· Good communication skills
· Calm, resilient and level headed
· Able to work autonomously
· IT literate
· General IT qualification
· Worked in a safeguarding role for a minimum of 2 years in an education setting
· Experience of making assessments to refer concerns
· Experience of referrals surrounding emotional health and wellbeing
· Experience of multi-agency working
· Experience of working as a team member
Special Working Requirements
· A commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and welfare of children at Shrewsbury Colleges Group
· Flexible approach to work
· Hold an appropriate first aid qualification or be willing to work towards.
We are looking for a qualified teacher or somebody with relevant experience willing to study for the teaching qualification which will be fully funded and delivered by the college.
Closing date for applications: 19th April 2021