We're supporting our clients as they adapt to a new world in the wake of COVID-19. We're now recruiting for roles which will help our clients to deliver vital services and to resume business wherever possible. The Fera IT Systems Development team is responsible for the development and maintenance of web applications, databases and information systems of varying sizes and complexity. The purpose of the job is to work within a team of software development engineers, on enhancement of existing systems and development of new, contributing to one or more key development projects at any time. The main technologies utilised by the team for new development is Angular, Laravel/php, MySQL.What you'll be doing:
What we're looking for:
- Work on one or more key development projects, in an agile environment
- Liaise closely with managers, project managers and clients where required, in order to successfully deliver new systems, ensuring that requirements are met and value for money is provided
- Maintain effective communication at all stages of the project life cycle
- Carry out all development within a version-controlled environment to defined coding standards
- To ensure own knowledge and expertise on methodologies and tools are kept up-to-date
- To take the lead developer role for some projects, carrying out robust and constructive review of code and system designs, and to suggest improvements where appropriate
- To guide and mentor other developers in all aspects of their work
- Provide advice and support for science colleagues during project discovery and bid development
- To liaise with senior developers in ensuring that the team reacts to emerging threats and opportunities in security and technology respectively
- An understanding of what makes good UI
- An excellent understanding of object-oriented programming
- Good knowledge of php and php web frameworks (preferably laravel, but not essential)
- Proficient in use of version control tools
- Proven in-depth knowledge of any modern relational database, preferably MySQL, and SQL Server
- A good understanding of software design patterns (e.g., MVC etc.)
- Effective communication skills with an ability to explain technically complex issues in a clear fashion to clients and to other developers
- Ability to translate a client's ideas into a working IT solution
In order to safe-guard the food we grow and the food we eat, at Fera we carry out the testing of chemicals to identify and characterise potential hazards of chemicals; we carry out research and development to identify ways to improve crop health, yield, efficiency and value; we carry out a wide range of testing to help our customers understand issues related to food security and food authenticity.
This wide array of science is supported by a small team of dedicated developers who work closely with our scientists to develop systems that help carry out, and present to those who will benefit from it, the world-class science that Fera delivers.
As a software development team, we get involved in all aspects of this science; from providing systems which support the laboratory work; developing APIs to deliver information on food integrity issues cross the globe; designing and building web applications that support the global food and farming industries, and much more.
There is opportunity to engage directly with our scientists, for example, to discuss how to best present complex technical scientific information for technical users, as well as providing a digestible, unambiguous summary for everyday users. There is always a challenge, and whether you are relatively new to software development or an experienced front-end developer there is plenty of opportunity to learn a little more about the science behind the development, as well as to learn or fine-tune your development skills so you can help Fera make a difference.What's in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary
- 23 days holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks' fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave...and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle - from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform
You'll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You'll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we'll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.What we hope you'll do next:
Choose 'Apply now' to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.Timelines to consider:
We're an equal opportunity employer, which means we'll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we're committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
All interviews, assessments and background checks will continue to take place online, to completely remove the need for face-to-face contact. All Capita colleagues who can work from home should do so; and where it is not possible for colleagues to work remotely, we have taken important steps to protect those working from Capita's offices. Social distancing, enhanced hygiene and safety measures are already in place at all Capita locations that are open to protect our colleagues and manage the risk of COVID-19. The welfare of our people is of paramount importance to us, and we're doing everything we can to keep our colleagues and customers safe during this time.
This job was originally posted as www.cwjobs.co.uk/job/92016662