As a Financial Accounts Assistant at HS2 you will be responsible for ensuring that HS2 Ltd and its Accounting Officer meet its statutory obligations, and for ensuring that it maintains the financial records to provide the financial information necessary to support HS2 Ltd in achieving its objectives.
Contribute continuously to the strategic development of HS2 Ltd by defining and implementing effective accounting policies, financial systems, controls, processes and reports.
Engage with stakeholders, both internal and external, to promote financial awareness, to anticipate and address evolving needs and to discharge its financial reporting responsibilities now and in the future.About the role:
Qualifications About You:
- Support and assist on assigned areas of the financial systems and records to ensure they are up to date; promote compliance with financial standards, procedures and policies and develop effective financial controls to assure quality and accuracy of financial information held in HS2 Ltd's corporate systems
- Maintain and be responsible for the HS2 Ltd Fixed Asset Register (FAR) and perform the month close procedures for Assets
- Coordinate and be responsible for the Accounts Receivable (AR) process for HS2 Ltd and reconcile the balance sheet position at month end
- Contribute to the transformation of HS2 Ltd by streamlining its financial processes and taking the lead to define and implement systems and process improvements which enhance business efficiency
- Contribute financial expertise to the development of HS2 Ltd's strategic financial systems which will operate within a network of integrated corporate systems and deliver reliable financial information for budget management and decision-making purposes
- Define, implement and monitor the financial policies, operational procedures and performance measures necessary to maintain the integrity of financial data and make high-quality financial information available to key stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across the organisation to provide a trusted financial advisory service, interpreting financial issues and information to produce tailored financial documents and information for decision makers and securing non-financial information to meet HS2 Ltd's reporting needs
- Provide technical advice to senior financial management and other colleagues based on knowledge of technical accounting standards and on benchmarking the approach of other organisations and implement appropriate changes
- Support the corporate governance arrangements as they relate to Finance, including the drafting of reports and information for the Audit Committee
- Actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
- IT skills with experience of ERP systems, ability to use Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint
- Ability to produce and present documents and reports to a variety of audiences and ability to explain financial matters to non-financial audiences
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with key internal stakeholders and the ability to influence decisions by senior management
- Ability to organise financial and other information to present clear results and maintain a clear audit trail
- Qualified or part-qualified financial accountant, with a recognised body, or training towards a relevant accountancy certification
- Understand International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) and technical accounting matters, with knowledge of how to interpret, apply and communicate complex financial issues to both financial and non-financial colleagues
- Experience of working within a Finance function
- Experience of working within a matrix organisation
- Experience of commercial considerations including value for money and contractual obligations
- Experience of producing financial reports
- Experience of contributing to financial audits
- The post-holder is expected to behave at all times in a manner consistent with the HS2 values of Safety, Leadership, Integrity and Respect.
It is expected that you will actively promote and embed Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI.
We ask for a variety of detail in your online application, however we perform the first assessment of suitability for a role based solely on the information in your CV. Please attach an updated word version of your CV for each new application and include evidence directly related to the criteria in the job advert.About Us:
High Speed 2 (HS2 Ltd) will be the UK's new high speed rail network. As well as improving capacity, the new scheme will shorten journey times between a number of Britain's major population centres, boost the economy and create thousands of jobs.
HS2 Ltd will create a skills legacy and develop a diverse range of talent. We aim to be a leader in EDI practice by creating a safe & inclusive working environment for all our staff - living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership.
In practice, this means we are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging our staff networks to flourish and providing personal and professional development opportunities.
HS2 Ltd is also a safety-critical organisation. Employees are required to ensure reasonable care of their own and others' health and safety by taking personal responsibility for working to our 'Safe at Heart' programme principles and following safe working procedures at all times.
HS2 Ltd endeavours to ensure everyone working for us and with us feels included, thrives and achieves their full potential.