Pole Lorry Driver (HGV) Reporting to
Field Staff Supervisor Location
Network Operations Eastern Region Reference Number
56608 Employment Period
£22,409 per annum (depending on experience) CiP Level
3% Closing Date
21st April 2021 All applications will be reviewed after the closing date.
We also offer :
UK Power Networks UK Power Networks
- Competitive annual leave entitlement
- Personal Pension Plan - Personal contribution rates of 3%, 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 6%, 8% or 10%)
- Sick leave goes up with length of service.
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On - scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
is the country's biggest electricity distributor, making sure the lights stay on for more than eight million homes and businesses across London, the South East and the East of England.
UK Power Networks continues to be listed in the Sunday Times' Top 25 Best Big Companies to Work For, as well as the Inclusive Top 50 UK Employers, and made industry history by becoming first company to win Utility of the Year two years running (2015 and 2016, also 2012). The company is accredited in the Investors in People Platinum and Nation Equality Standard.
The company invests more than £600 million in its electricity networks every year, offers extra help to vulnerable customers at times of need, and is undertaking trials to ensure that electricity networks support the transition to a low carbon future. It also moves cables and connects new electricity supplies. Job Purpose:
To ensure physical delivery to plan of poles, plant and equipment to Field Teams within the local area, through the provision of a safe, efficient and effective operation. Work as part as a team on site to complete work and act a support person. Principal Accountabilities:
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- To erect poles in the vicinity of live LV and HV conductors
- To ensure that materials are delivered to correct sites to meet the agreed programmed delivery times and for faults as required.
- Ensure that current Road Transport Legislation, including EU regulations, is followed at all times.
- Carry out daily inspections on vehicles and ancillary equipment (vehicle mounted crane, lifting gear etc) and report any defects to ensure that equipment is fit for purpose and operated safely.
- Safe loading and driving of company vehicles.
- Wear appropriate uniform & PPE where provided
- Actively demonstrate and promote UK Power Networks' vision of becoming an employer of choice, a respected corporate citizen and to work in a sustainably cost efficient way.
- Demonstrate and promote UK Power Networks values; integrity, respect, continuous improvement, diversity and inclusiveness, responsibility and unity.
- Challenge others not following the correct or safest procedure to complete the task in hand.
- Report all near misses and deal with hazards to create a harm free workplace.
- Responsibility for all aspects of Safety, Health and Environment relevant to this role
- To carry out risk assessments and maintain safe working practices
- Ensure quality of works meets with current policies and procedures
- Be able to work on their own or as part of a team.
- Act as a support person and as a craft attendant to ensure the craftsman undertakes his work safely
Ideally the successful candidates should have the following:
Should you not currently possess the full range of essential skills, qualifications and competencies listed above, there may be an opportunity for further training to equip the successful candidate appropriately. If the successful candidate does not possess all relevant competencies for the core grade, it will be appropriate to appoint at a lower grade until they have developed the required competencies. Person Skills
- HGV Class II Licence holder
- Sub Station Entry
- City & Guilds Part 232
- ALLMI, IPAF or equivalent competence
- Be fully conversant with HSS 01 080
- Erect Poles Live Line Working HV
Nature and Scope:
- Work efficiently and communicate effectively with other team members
- Have the enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills and techniques.
- Demonstrate a strong safety culture.
- Be flexible in their approach to work.
The successful applicant will be expected to work alone or as part of a team of Craftsmen that report to a Performance Team Leader and have the support of experienced Field Engineers.
The role is predominantly based in the Area. The successful candidate may be required to travel anywhere with in the UK Power Networks Network area and when required work outside of normal core hours. Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control, and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt, ask!