About Natural Apptitude
At Natural Apptitude we develop software predominantly to support people working in the environmental sectors. We are an industry leader in the field of geospatial data collection and citizen science and work with organisations like the RSPB, Butterfly Conservation and the Environment Agency. Natural Apptitude's main focus is to support the work of the many organisations across the globe addressing biodiversity loss.
In addition to bespoke software development, we also offer a unique no-code mobile data collection platform - Coreo (https://coreo.io/). New to market, Coreo is set to become a major part of the business over the coming years.
We're now looking for a full-time, full-stack Senior Developer to join the team. You will lead on a wide range of exciting projects and be instrumental in the future development of Coreo as we continue to enhance the platform.Job Description
Main purpose of the job
As a Senior Developer at Natural Apptitude you will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of different technologies and to help make important decisions on the direction the business takes as well as playing a key role in supporting business development activities.
You will be a technical lead on client projects and you will also have the opportunity to play a major role in helping to shape and develop Coreo as it evolves to meet growing demand. As Senior Developer, more junior members of the team will look to you to lead, inspire and mentor them. Because the position of Senior Developer is client-facing as well as technical you will be seen as an ambassador for Natural Apptitude.Key tasks
Tasks and duties include:
Delivering exceptional quality technical solutions, including:
- Fully analysing requirements and being able to focus on the big picture as well as the detail.
- Writing exceptional code.
- Working closely with the design and QA team.
Managing multiple projects simultaneously, including:
- Holding regular meetings with clients and being the main point of contact for them relating to technical work.
- Developing, and delivering on, detailed functional and technical specifications.
- Developing and maintaining project plans using appropriate methodologies.
- Assigning tasks to project team members with clear instruction and expectations.
Managing and leading software developers, including:
- Holding regular catch-up meetings with team members
- Acting as a coach, mentor, and code reviewer.
- Regularly reviewing team effectiveness and implementing new processes to improve efficiency.
Working closely with the Senior Team including the CEO and CTO to:
- measure and report on the progress of projects.
- evaluate and provide progress reports on relevant team members
- continually review technical approaches used by the business to seek areas for improvement.
- identify any current or future areas of concern in the business' portfolio, and sector as a whole, which may need to be addressed.
Contributing to business development tasks including:
Key results and priorities
- bid work.
- building relationships with clients.
- spotting new markets and opportunities for the products and services we provide.
Success will be measured in various ways. These include:
- Bringing projects in on time and on budget.
- Demonstration of consistently excellent coding skills and ability to find and resolve issues promptly and effectively.
- Ability to think creatively about problems and implement excellent solutions.
- Consistent high-quality feedback from clients.
- Excellent feedback from the team as a whole.
The details set out above are not exhaustive and you may be required to carry out additional tasks and duties depending on the needs of the business. Person Specification
Needless to say you will possess excellent technical and problem solving skills. Above all you'll have the experience and ability to think laterally and pick up new tools (languages, frameworks etc) with ease. You'll particularly want to work in a small business, in a startup environment and will be motivated by working with a wide range of technologies and by bringing new ideas and new perspectives to a SaaS platform which is gathering momentum. You will also be someone who is naturally customer service and team focused and enjoys a client facing role. Skills
You will have robust skills in the following:
- Designing and building software from the ground up.
- Designing, developing and implementing unit and scenario testing for existing code bases and for future developments.
- Commercial Ionic experience with Cordova and/or Capacitor.
- Expert level Angular or StencilJS knowledge.
- REST and GraphQL APIs.
- Experience developing a Software as a Service (SaaS) platform.
- Writing native iOS and Android code (Java/Objective-C/Swift/Kotlin)
- Expert level Node.js experience
- Commercial experience with relational databases, particular Postgres
- Familiarity with geospatial systems e.g. Postgis, QGis etc
- Experience publishing apps to both the App Store and Play Store.
- Experience with WordPress/PHP an advantage.
During your career you will have gathered the following experience and enjoy:
- Building strong relationships with clients.
- Building, motivating and leading a team of software developers.
- Project managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Analysing business requirements to produce thorough functional and technical specifications.
- Applying quality assurance measures to your work and the work of others to ensure exceptional quality code.
- Measuring progress according to specifications and reporting to a senior team.
- Delivering projects on time and on budget.
Along with excellence in the work we do we place a high value on how we work together and with our clients. We're not just looking for someone who can code but someone who will fit into and become a member of the team. It's therefore important that you have the following qualities:
- Excellent communicator - You recognise the importance of good communication, keeping clients, your team and senior management informed every step of the way.
- Active listening - You listen to and empathise with clients and the team you work with.
- Teamwork - You'll want to become part of a close-knit team, will love working with people and both value input from others and recognise what others bring to a team.
- Leadership and reliability - You have confidence in your own abilities and can provide direction and a vision for others to follow. You are 100% reliable and committed to getting the job done. Others tend to look at you as a role model.
- Motivation - You possess the ability to motivate others to be the best they can be.
- Flexibility - You respond well to ambiguity, change and adapt accordingly.
- Empathy and respect - You are able to appreciate the feelings and experiences of others
- Professionalism - You are both a positive role model to those you manage and a positive advocate of the company to our clients.
- Calm under pressure - You are always calm and measured in your response to people and situations. Things don't always go to plan and if they go off-piste, you can remain objective and get things back on track quickly.
- Problem solving skills - You love solving problems, are quick thinking and apply pragmatic solutions to problems by considering the situation in hand rather than just following 'this is what we normally do'.
- Fun - You will have a positive outlook and good sense of humour.
Finally, as we specialise in working with environmentally focused organisations, a passion for and understanding of the environment and natural world will be of value. Qualifications
You will ideally have a Degree and postgraduate qualification in Information Technology, Computer Science or related areas. However, experience, skill and your fit with the team are more important than qualifications, so we encourage you to apply if you meet the requirements above without having a formal qualification in the subject.What We Offer
We are focused on making sure that working for us is both fun and professionally rewarding. As an employee you can expect:
- Exposure to a wide range of technologies and projects, all of which bring with them opportunities to learn and develop.
- Access to self guided training to build your skills and career.
- 3 days per annum to spend on research and development. This could be to test new technologies or work on experimental ideas.
- Flexible working hours, where possible.
- Lieu time for additional hours worked.
- Remote working.
- 28 days leave per year + 1 additional day per year of employment (capped at 5 years) plus Christmas - New Year closure. Ability to carry 5 days of unused leave into the following year.
- Flexible company pension.