Your new role
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer to join our team in Wakefield or Darlington. This role will involve developing highway schemes from concept through to preliminary design that form part of our Safety & Congestion and Users & Communities Designated Funds programme. You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment. What you'll be leading on
To be successful
- Development of schemes from feasibility stage through to the end of preliminary design,
- Delivery of feasibility studies to identify options for improvement, producing concept drawings and supporting studies,
- Application of design standards to produce preliminary design drawings along with supporting information including designers risk assessments, Equality Impact Assessments and Walking, Cycling & Horse Riding Assessment Reports,
- Undertaking asset evaluation to identify network needs to develop potential solutions, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria,
- Preparing briefs for and undertaking appropriate surveys to support the development of possible improvement solutions,
- Working collaboratively with other teams including Programme Development and Scheme Delivery to produce deliverable solutions that contribute to development of the forward programme.
- Ensure that asset data is captured and maintained in the relevant database(s), in line with agreed standards and timescales;
- Ensure the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
A bit about us
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in a relevant discipline for Road Safety/Highway Design,
- Experience working in civil engineering relating to design of highway projects,
- Current detailed working knowledge of Department for Transport design standards, guidance and advice notes,
- Training and experience in the preparation of AutoCAD engineering drawings;
- Experience of delivering technical supporting information for preliminary designs along with an understanding of appraisal techniques for highway projects
- Have undertaken appropriate training in health and safety and Construction Design Management Regulations.
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisationAnd finally
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible