About Doughty Street Chambers:
Doughty Street Chambers is a set of internationally renowned barristers with a reputation for excellence. We specialise in many areas of law across multiple jurisdictions, often in cases which have a strong emphasis on human rights and civil liberties, and offer our clients a commitment to hard work and an innovative, multi-disciplinary approach.Job Purpose:
To assist in the delivery of a high quality, efficient clerking service to clients and members of Chambers.Summary of Role:
The civil clerking team is made up of a number of Practice Managers, Senior Practice Assistants, Practice Assistants and supported by Team Juniors. The Practice Managers each specialise in specific Practice Areas, however it is expected that the full team has a broad understanding of the breadth of work covered, and all individuals within the full civil team. The Team Junior will be engaged in practice management and client handling and will be principally involved in assisting the Practice Assistant in the efficient case management and clerking administration. The successful Civil Team Junior for this post will be part of the team responsible for supporting the relevant practice teams.Key responsibilities:
- Practice Management.
- Develop a detailed knowledge of the practices of the barristers clerked by the team and be familiar with those of other civil members.
- Support Business Development.
- Ensure client care is delivered to the highest standards.
- Build good relationships with staff, members and client solicitors.
- Report new business opportunities to the Practice Manager.
- Participate in business development events and initiatives as required, including some out-of-normal-hours commitments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with current clients.
- Develop an understanding of other (civil and criminal) clients to ensure effective cross-selling.
- Collate and maintain effective Customer Relationship Management data.
- Current Business and Client Relationship Management.
- Clerking Functions.
- Manage all incoming papers.
- Act as a point of contact for all instructing solicitors and other prospective clients to ensure that appropriate counsel is instructed, and appropriate fees are agreed in line with fair allocation of work policies, in conjunction with the Practice Manager and Practice Assistant.
- Ensure that contracts are entered on the system correctly and that fees are billed in a timely fashion as delegated by the Practice Assistant.
- Manage Counsels' diaries effectively and ensuring barristers are aware of deadlines arising.
- Undertake routine administrative tasks.
- Fix and move cases in accordance with instructions given by the instructing solicitor.
- Provide cover and support for the Practice Assistant and Office Assistants when required, particularly by undertaking court runs for their team as necessary.
- Report all formal and informal complaints or issues of concern to the Practice Manager.
- Other Tasks
- Undertake any other tasks reasonably delegated by the Practice Manager, Practice Assistant, or Senior Practice Manager.
- Assist with the development of efficient systems including the effective use of Chambers case management software.
- Contribute to staff discussions and meetings.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade A-C, including Maths and English,or equivalent
Experience as a barristers' clerk is desirable but not essential.
Knowledge of the legal sector and the relationship between instructing solicitors, other clients, and Chambers.
Essential and Desirable skills and competenciesEssential:
Ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders, verbal and written.
Excellent attention to detail and records information accurately.
Evidence of the ability to multi-task under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
Ability to use own initiative and escalate issues to Team Leader where appropriate.
Excellent IT Skills.
Good team working skills.
Excellent organisation skills including the ability to manage and prioritise workloads.
Ability to provide suitable solutions based on the information available.
Awareness of and commitment to principles of Equality and Diversity.Desirable:
Experience in working with Chambers diary management software.Career progression:
Career progression is something we are keen to promote, this role offers the opportunity for internal growth within the team.